On Facebook -JOIN I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles.
Here is the link for the group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/
Please join our FB group where YOU can post directly.

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

Would anyone have an idea of what type of chair this would be called? Age is unknown and there is no name on it anywhere. It is oak and it's 38 1/2" high and arm to arm is 30" wide. It is very heavy. Also, what is the material called that is on the back. It's too wide to be wicker. Thanks for any info you can give me. Sorry I had to post my pictures as attachments. I did it the other way and the pictures were so huge I had to delete them.

Views: 101

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

I think I found what the back is made of. Reed.

Caning. Which are in fact made from reed. My caner will cut reeds from swamps to make a cane materials if she needs it.

Interesting. Thanks

I have looked at hundreds of chairs and couldn't find one even close. You are amazing. Thanks.

Not reed, rush, or cane...it's "splint" made from the bark of ash trees. I can't tell whether it's old or new without a hands-on look see.

Old splint was hand cut and varies in width and thickness.  New machine cut splint is mostly the same size with no variance in thickness. You need to measure very closely several different pieces. 

Machine cutting began around 1880s thru now.  Hand cutting pre-dates 1880 with some exceptions.

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

& Terms of Use

© 2021   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service