On Facebook -JOIN I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles.
Here is the link for the group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/
Please join our FB group where YOU can post directly.

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

I have searched all over to find out what this type of glass is called so any help would be wonderful. I saw one place in England where it was called sugar glass but can not find the term used anywhere else. The shade is hand blown and the embellishment is tiny glass.

Views: 96

Replies to This Discussion

This lengthy link describes many different types of glass and how they are manufactured. I saw several items that looked somewhat  like your item.  https://theantiquarian.us/Glass%20Types.htm

Looks like Coralene glass to me. It might be one of the other types in Tom's link, but I'd try to ID it using this first.

Mt. Washington Glass co. and Some manufacturer's in England are the best known for this type. Most was made from 1860 - 1920 ish time frame. It's not easy to achieve, so it took an experienced glass maker to do this technique. In Fact, most of the Victorian era techniques are quite complex. 

Have you got a picture of the whole shade? It would be nice to see all of it, and photo's of the full base and top may help ID a maker.

Hey Molly, I don't think it's Frit. Can't be positive of course, but "Frit" is an all-over free style type of decoration. Whereas, "Corelene" is much more controlled. Usually into a specific shape - see he's got a sort-of "pattern" going there? 

However, if you scroll down a bit it shows it being used in patterns?

Just an observation...I'm no Glass Hound!

Lol, it certainly could be. I wish op would respond and share more pics. It would be easier if we’d see the full lamp shade.

TJ, "op" stands for ORIGINAL POSTER (you).

Describe what your item is. Show us pictures of the whole item. Give us dimensions, provenance (history), marks (names, etc.).

Click "reply";  don't start a new Post.

Welcome to IAO!

I will get better photo's today. These are my neighbors 

tj, it's been a week, still no new pictures.  "Sugar glass" isn't from England, rather France. Basically there are 2-3 types or more.

French made sugar glass is edible. Made into cocktail glasses on popscicle sticks. Alcohol causes sugar to melt and transform into a lolly pop. Drink fast.

Sugar glass is used in movie industry; breaks easily without injuring stunt person.

I saw pics of pitchers made of sugar glass, but no mention of them melting.

If you google, "Sugar glass" (use quotes) and click "Images" you can see pics of the above, and maybe something that looks like your item.


Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig


Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.


JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

& Terms of Use

© 2022   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service