On Facebook -JOIN I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles.
Here is the link for the group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/
Please join our FB group where YOU can post directly.

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

I've been told this 46" wide, 15' deep and 33" tall Bassett dresser is Federal by one antique "expert", "Duncan Phyfe" by another, "Empire" by another, and also mid-century modern. Now I am totally confused. It's construction is really heavy, thick wood, the main part had a few scuffs and minor, spotty water marks near the bottom, but is it solid and the drawers are in excellent condition. The mirror (33 x 35") is also in really good condition. My parents paid about $200 for it at auction in the mid-1970s (that would be over $800 in today's money). What is the style and what WOULD be a fair price to ask in today's market?

Views: 198

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Lillian,

It's a dresser in the Federal style, but a modern revival of it. Since it was made by Bassett Furniture, you're probably looking at c.1950s-70 judging by the design of the label and the fresh look of the secondary wood. I have a china cabinet that is similar in style and era and I paid $200 for it about 5 years ago. Unfortunately, there are some condition issues to the finish of the dresser and in today's market they are a common find, so that will affect value.

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

& Terms of Use

© 2021   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service