TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

Back in November I posted this Vincent van Gogh print i paid 25$. I sent it off to Van Gogh experts to be authenticated.  To my surprise it was authenticated as an original Vincent van Gogh fine art print.

So my fellow hunters and gatherers keep on hunting!

I need to stop gathering myself!

Views: 79

Replies to This Discussion

I think that explains the "experts" non-answer - they are hoping that you will step up and pay their fee if you think it may have a lot of value, and the best way to do that is to imply that it may be worth something as they have done.

Actually I saw that Sotheby's will only give an estimate if an item is worth over $5000, so better to start with a smaller auction house that might take an item with a $100 value. I doubt it we even be that high, but I hope I'm wrong. Witherells sounds like a very good choice since they are local; you are more likely to get a response if you bring it in (or at least that has been my experience). If you have more than one item you could take a bunch of them all at once, and they will pick the ones that they think they could sell. (Let me add that you should only do this if you would seriously consider actually consigning it with them, because otherwise you are wasting their time).

Good advice I certainly will post any further updates. I think I have 1 or 2 prints I can take with me.... more like 20 or 30!

Unless the 'Fine Art Print' is a certified limited edition run, I do not see how it holds such a high value.

I work at a printers and we can pump out any number of 'Fine Art Prints' all day long for many artists.  None of the non-limited editions prints are certified by any authority, yet all are of the highest quality, archival ink and stock possible, which is the basic definition of a 'Fine Art Print'.  Certification or not, it still classifies as a 'Fine Art Print'.  There really is very little stopping the unscrupulous kind from taking a high enough resolution digital file of the original artwork to a fine art printer willing to run off a few dozen copies or more.  So where does the value come from, and how is the value justified for any non-certified non-limited edition 'Fine Art Prints'?

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

SPONSORED

& Terms of Use

© 2017   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service