TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

I believe I understand the company and period of this piece (Meriden, late 1800's, silver plate, not worth much). My questions are:

1 - can anyone tell, guess or speculate on the origin of the 'Temple Cafe' engraving. There were several temple cafes in the period.

2. I have read that the number stamped by the logo is a catalog #, in this case an 8. Any help to identify the year or actual item name would be great.

3. For some reason I always thought this was a syrup dispenser but, upon reflection, perhaps it was a cream/milk dispenser?

Thanks-Holly

Views: 124

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Some information on Meriden Britannia Company

There are numerous Temple Café registered in many countries.  It could have come from any of them via a tourist nicking one and taking it home, or more locally from a cafe that got robbed and sold, or from a cafe who decided to change their style of décor and simply moved their current style on via sale, donation or dumping.

Hard to say really.  Best probably start local to where this item was located and work outwards to see if there are any nearby with a matching name.  See what décor they have?

I tried looking up the number meanings for Meriden but couldn't find anything specific.

From your photos it doesn't even look as though this item has a spout or any kind of pouring aid built into the design of it.  If it was used to pour anything thicker in consistency than water or milk, it may simply end up dribbling down the side each time.

Sorry I couldn't be of any great help.

Thanks for your reply, nothing to be sorry for. I will apologize though, as I took this picture but did not include in original post.

Attachments:

Neat, it's an internal pouring spout.

It's looks as though it is designed to account for dribbling down the spout and channels back into the base.

I think it's a tankard; has a thumb latch on lid.  B. Company, is an  ampersand "&".   Meriden & Company.  8 could be the factory code or something else. Only Temple Cafe I know of is in SLC, UT.

No offence Tom but I'm pretty sure it is a B as in - MERIDEN BRITANNIA COMPANY - see link provided.

http://www.silvercollection.it/MERIDENBRITANNIACO.html

You're right, it is Britannia, not &. Not a  tankard either.

Was late, cold,  furnace quit, repairman came at 11:00 PM. My natural gas line was plugged.

eBay

ANTIQUE SILVER PLATED SYRUP PITCHER REED & BARTON PATENTED 212 w/ENGRAVED LEAF

US $180.00ANTIQUE-SILVER-PLATED-SYRUP-PITCHER-REED-amp-BARTON-PATENTED-212-w-ENGRAVED-LEAFANTIQUE-SILVER-PLATED-SYRUP-PITCHER-REED-amp-BARTON-PATENTED-212-w-ENGRAVED-LEAF

eBay

Antique Silver Syrup Pitcher - 1865

US $29.00

Antique-Silver-Syrup-Pitcher-1865Antique-Silver-Syrup-Pitcher-1865

Google Image Search Results

There are lots of them out there.

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

& Terms of Use

© 2018   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service