TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

Hello everyone,

I've searched the internet and books for this pattern and can't seem to find anything.

Does anyone have a clue as to the pattern? 

This is a saucer, with a blue and white transfer image in center and a title that says Landing of Columbus.

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

Views: 71

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

I cannot find that maker mark for Saxon anywhere.  It usually says French Saxon with different embellishments.  That being said, it seems a little crazy that there is nothing coming up for the plate itself.  Maybe they only made 10 of them!  Lucky you!

Neat plate! It was made by the Saxon China Co., founded in 1911 in Sebring, Ohio. The company was purchased by the American Chinaware Corp. in 1929 and folded in 1932. It was then restarted in 1934 by W. Vern Oliver as the French-Saxon China Company. After other purchases and combined business ventures, the company survived into the 1960s.

http://www.tias.com/7042/PictPage/1920903849.html

That being said, I just opened up the internet today and the dang design popped right up at me.  Not the same dish, but until now I could not even find the picture anywhere.  Now, you have something.  

Thank you as well Molly. I too have seem these images on painting etc., but I not been able to find any dishes by the Saxon China company on the web or my answer may reside in a book somewhere. Since I have saucers, there must have been cups, plates etc to go with them.

I'll continue to dig and hopefully resolved this mystery. 

Thanks everyone.

Thank you LB. Yes, this is an old plate by the Saxon Company and that's the only stamp on the back. I've 3 saucers and 1 bread/dessert plate. Each of them has a different scene in the center. The other plates are titled "In sight of the New World", "Planting of the Cross" and "Before the Council of Salamaca". My guess is that they are approx. 100 years old.

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate it.

Concentrating on the information LB provided, I see that the original Saxon China is, generally speaking, much less ornately decorated, with many of the pieces being white with gold trim.  I then located another sampling of what you have since described with different scenes.  It also had the flow blue with the gold accents and depicted some of the other Columbus-themed scenes.  

• Six French Saxon China Flow Blue Berry Bowls very old
    This is still very much a curiosity.

Your mark is shown in Lehner's Encyclopedia of U.S. Marks, 1988, ISBN 0-89145-365-2.  It is one of 6 different backstamps, and the oldest. It dates prior to 1925; exact starting date not shown.  My source indicates that French-Saxon China began in 1936 but wasn't registered (patent) until Oct 8, 1945.

Other Saxon marks are in descending order, Saxon China (inside a shield), The birthstone pattern Saxon (inside a rectangle), The Lucky Stone Dinner Set (inside a triangle), (concentric circles)-outer, The Anniversary Dinner Set -; inner, Made by Saxon,  The Birthday Dinner Set (inside an oval).

French Saxon has many marks; also found in ref book.

Reply by LB Laub on Thursday

Neat plate! It was made by the Saxon China Co., founded in 1911 in Sebring, Ohio. The company was purchased by the American Chinaware Corp. in 1929 and folded in 1932. It was then restarted in 1934 by W. Vern Oliver as the French-Saxon China Company. After other purchases and combined business ventures, the company survived into the 1960s.

Thanks again LB. Based on when the Saxon China Co was in business initially, I guess the period date of these saucers may be somewhere between 1911-1929.

I only have four of the scenes so am missing the other two. Considering their age, they're in great condition. Hope I look this good at 100. :-) 

Thanks Tom. I'll be ordering a copy of this book. So far, I've been checking out books at the public library and this is one they don't have. 

I got my book for $.25 cents at a yard sale; also 6 others, quarter each. A bit old (1988), but full of info.

Type in the ISBN number into Google and available copies and prices will show up. You might find a more modern copy.

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

SPONSORED

& Terms of Use

© 2017   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service