TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

I bought this a few months ago and am stuck on it's origin and value. There is an impressed mark but it's too heavily glazed to ID. I am guessing it's Capodimonte but it's not an area i am well versed in. Any info would be gladly received. It's a magnificent decadent piece of porcelain. I know it is a scene from Faust

Views: 259

Replies to This Discussion

So?  What is this, exactly?  Can you show us something that resembles this?  I am SO curious....

What's "outrageous"as Molly says is that Simon Harris, who posted this, didn't mention any of this when he listed it. This group is for the Identification and evaluation of items. If you know what you have take it to "show and tell".

I don't know who made it, that's the reason i have joined and put this up on the discussion. I can see it's a 19th century planter, it's obvious, it's not obvious who made it as the mark is very unclear. Any ideas Tom

I would like to see some more angles, especially the top of it...and put some scale to it.  I understand you are mainly looking for its origin, but all relevant information should be shared for the most effective and efficient search and for the most accurate results.  Please share.

The measurements are noted already and there are some other pictures on the thread as well

Wow...it really is something else.  Oh, yeah, now I remember...the measurements did not sink in because they were metric.   It looks like it WAS actually used as a planter.  That must have been some plant.

I’m wondering if the scene might be a reference to Schubert’s “Gretchen at the Spinning Wheel,” where Gretchen dreams of Faust. That said, it is possible the piece is Austrian.

LB throwing something else into the mix!  This one is driving me crazy.  As usual, searching is a wonderful and educational experience, but I have not come across anything remotely similar, as of yet.  We are still on the same continent it seems.

Image result for austrian hungarian antique figural planters

This is it so far....lame.

LB, I agree Germany/Austria makes sense given the history of the play (and said as much earlier), but did you see the decoration on the back (first pic in the first reply). I can't see that being done on a hidden part of the piece anywhere but Japan. And have you ever seen a European Victorian figural potted plant stand before? That just seems too strange a mix. Plus modelling is good but doesn't seem up to 19th century German standards. Altogether I'm thinking this is later, made in 20th C Japan. Not certain, just a gut feel.

Related image

"Capodimonte porcelain artist figural scene"

I can see where the Capodimonte thought came from.  Finally, something with different painting styles and inspirations in a stunning piece of art.  I like this.

Thanks for all the response, I'm still in the European camp myself. The back has a Japanese influence but i would say more Chinoiserie rather that chines or Japanese, there was a big influence during the 1870's onwards, the whole aesthetic movement was had Japanese and Chinese influence. I did send images to a friend who is/was a valuer at Christies South Kensington and her comments where 'it looks 19th century, a mix of Sevres style and capodimonte', that's what made me think Capodimonte initially. I can upload some more images, as i said, it has a raised mark but it's very hard to see, this in itself probably rules at the far east as there porcelain is normaly just painted and not stamped or modelled and it clearly has a couple of letters, the 1st letter i'm pretty sure is a B and the 2nd could be a G or even an H . I would think the mottled decoration to the underneath and interior would be an indicator of manufacture but as i said, it's not my area of expertise. 

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

SPONSORED

& Terms of Use

© 2017   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service