On Facebook -JOIN I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles.
Here is the link for the group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/
Please join our FB group where YOU can post directly.

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

I found this print applied to canvas many years ago. On the back there is possibly a description of what it is in a foreign language but a portion is missing. Who is the young boy and what is the technique.

Views: 47

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

The language on the back is Italian and the visible portion says:

L'arte aristocratica d...
La presente riprod...
a chi offre a favore de...

In English it translates to:

Aristocratic art
The present
to those in favor

"La presente riprod..." could 'possibly' be "La presente riproduzione"

which would translate to "The present reproduction"

Given the visual age of the canvas and the framing method, it seems more likely to be a painting, rather than a more modern day printed reproduction, but would need a much closer photo (macro shot) in order to see what style of paint may have been used. 

Sharon, Also please place your item in really good natural light - or at least in really GOOD and BRIGHT light inside. I can only make out the last picture. :(

I agree with Michael as well. I sold a very old painting like yours, a religious rendition of the crucifixion, several years ago. It was beautiful but was also "a reproduction". From what I understand, many students of fine art did copy the masters in order to improve and enhance their own skills. I think it was the expected behavior too, to mark it as such. 

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

& Terms of Use

© 2019   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service