TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

Came in to our seniors group and after 2 days of digging I'm no closer to answers.  I'll place a lot of photos in case someone can shed some light on what it is , where it may have come from and its age.  The glass seems to be cut  without mold marks.  Vertical cuts on the sides and a starburst on the bottom.  

A special thanks to Tom, Vicki and mike for help in the past.

Views: 64

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Gee, thanks for the compliments. Hope you don't hate me.

Your glass inserts are molded. The starburst is common to molded glass.  You have a celluloid double votive candle holder. Celluloid was the first plastic like material invented and used, circa late 1800s but still used today. It is not plastic which  is made of petroleum. Celluloid is made from plant cells, hence it's name. With age it becomes very brittle and fragile and the slightest touch will cause it to crumble.

Small, votive-sized candles were made of beeswax and used in prayer offerings in various churches. Yours was meant to be used in a home service. I would guess yours is from the first half of the 20th Century, 1920s-50s.

Tom.... you're amazing! Thanks for the help. We were fortunate to have stumbled upon this group and all the help that they offer.

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

SPONSORED

& Terms of Use

© 2017   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service