TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

Not sure is this is a duplicate  reeqjw .

Can anyone tell me something about this Indian papoose doll?   The face is a lightweight plastic.  The back of the  head is open showing some of the stuffing - like thin straw?  There is some newspaper stuck on the inside back of the skull.  The blanket appears to missing a bead.  From the top of the handle to the bottom of the blanket is 12"                              

Views: 63

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Beverly, You have a very collectible "Snookems" Native American Indian Doll! Check ebay/Etsy and online for more info on these lovely old dolls and congrats!

Thank you for writing and helping to identify what the doll was.  I did see several on E-Bay  that were similar.  Never had heard of "Snookems" before but now I have :-)  Thanks again!

The name "Lakewood" is shown on one of the newspaper ads. Unfortunately there are 30 towns in the USA, 1 in the Philippines, and 1 in Western Australia by that name.  The telephone number, 2 letters + 4 digits were common in the early 1950s. Looks like Vicki knows its name. "Skookum" is a common NA name out West.

Well, lucky break! The Lakewood they are probably referring to is a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio. I know this because the newspaper also mentions Bendix, which headquartered in Elyria, Ohio, my hometown (about 20 miles from Lakewood). I would bet the newspaper fragment is the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

I think the word is "Skookum", a Chinook NA word with several meanings. There is a Skookumchuk creek in Idaho and a resort in NE Wash state known as Skookum. In determining the meaning, I found Skookum dolls which sounds like the doll Vicki is describing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skookum#Dolls

Yes, I'm sorry, I mis-spelled the word - it should be Skookum, my apologies!

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

& Terms of Use

© 2018   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service