TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

I wonder if anyone could tell me anything about this item. It has some age to it and I am wondering if it is an original and whether a print or lithograph. Any information would be much appreciated.

thank you

Rochelle

Views: 72

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

This is a print of an original drawing in pencil by Heinrich Hofmann.

Sermon on the Mount - Come Unto Me (1887)

thebowyerbiblegospels.wordpress.com <-- An article on it.

Oh my goodness thank you so much Micheal I did think it might be the Hofman with works in the New York church but I was unsure and I have not been able to find the exact picture anywhere I am truly grateful for the information you have supplied.

kind regards

Rochelle

www.pinterest.com.au - a collection of various Hofmann works.

I would have called this an Etching, rather than a print?

Hi Vicki, we have established that it is in fact a monochrome lithograph  a copy there of. 

A lithograph (monochrome prints) and a chromolithograph (multi-coloured prints) both use methods of etching to produce the printing plates.

There are more modern techniques which still result in an etching such as microfabrication etching and photochemical milling.

I'm sure there would be a lot more information about etching on wikipedia.

The best thing way to tell if it is a print or a lithograph is to take a macro photo (extreme closeup), you should then be able to make out if there are tiny dots in an even pattern making up the image you see, or if the image make up is fairly randomised.  I said it looked like a print because in the 3.6Mb file it appears to be made up of a modern day print pattern.  I could tell better with a macro photo, but it must be in focus.

I see, so in fact it is an Etching? LOL, it's probably my old fashioned "Antique dealer speak" it's often inaccurate, and I learned from other old fashioned antique dealers - as well as books, which long ago, many of those were rather inaccurate as well!

For instance: I can never keep the mono and the Chromo straight - so I may just call them "litho's". Also not very accurate I guess?

I do know about the "matrix" of the color dots as well, but to clarify - It's rather hard to tell the difference between old matrix type prints and the actual scattered type patterns. Any tips on those Michael? I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge too. I've always struggled with understanding the various and sundry types of old art. :) Thanks!

Etching is correct in the broad sense that many different processes may utilise etching in some form.  Referring to the process by its specific name encompasses the entirety of the process thereby not confusing any one part of the process with that of another style.

Saying something is chromatic, means it is made of colour. Chromolithography

Saying something is monochromatic, means it is made of only one colour. Lithography

I've copied the following information out of a post I made back in September.

If you are able to view the picture through a magnifying glass, or even take a very close up macro photograph of the picture, and if the picture is indeed a print, then you should see one of the below pattern options. One thing all of these patterns have about them is that within each pattern the dot size is uniform.  The pattern of a true lithograph is usually made up of dots of differing sizes.  This is commonly due to the imperfect nature of the surface of the stones used as printing plates, not having a perfectly smooth surface to begin with causes the larger and smaller dots as the design is being drawn.  

Moire Effect

Diffusion Patterns

Ahh, That is helpful! Thanks very much! :)

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

& Terms of Use

© 2018   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service