TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

I have an old box of dominoes, very lightweight wood (balsa?) The pattern is a Pegasus horse either side of an initial 'N'.

Views: 108

Replies to This Discussion

Ebony was the preferred wood that was used most frequently due to the rough play.  If balsa you might get 1 game before they broke. Balsa is very weak, used for flyable model airplanes. I would guess they are celluloid which is an early form of plastic made from plant cells rather than petroleum. BTW, celluloid  is VERY FRAGILE with age and will crumble with limited use. If any of your "bones" are broken look closely at the mixture. Black celluloid is dark black with lighter black swirls in it. Use magnification. Most sets have 27 tiles.  Condition determines value.

My guess is that these dominoes are composite, most likely made of a molded and compressed sawdust mixture. 

That would make sense, LB, thanks :)

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

& Terms of Use

© 2018   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service