TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

I found this sword in our family farm house, that no one has lived in since my Grandfather was alive which was over 25 years ago. I've tried to find the writing on the tang on the web, but there is alot of different variations out there and not sure how to ID it or if what I was finding was even close to being correct. There is no handle, there is writing on the tang, wooden and leather(?) scabbard sheath. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Views: 121

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

It's called a Katana. The close up showing the writing also shows the metal of the sword which appears pitted and jagged and not folded and sharp like 99% of the Katanas for sale. Which is good. Folding of the steel for strength was discovered many years ago, I didn't look it up, so katanas made prior to that would date them as being ancient. I did see one Katana made  in 6th Century, pre-folding. It was listed at $18,000. I'm not saying yours is, just could be.

If you have a military Katana it should have a Chrysanthemum flower stamped on it. Called a "Mum". After WW II  the mums were ground off. A full mum is worth more than a ground off one as it was taken in battle. The mum is the Emperor's royal flower; grinding it off "saved face".

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

& Terms of Use

© 2018   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service