TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

There is something inside but I don't have a key! Trying to identify this trunk and the lock. I have more pics if needed. The dimensions are: top 47" X 18 1/2"; trunk 45 1/2"; from the bottom to the to 19"; from the floor to the top 21 1/2". I am told this is walnut. Thanks in advance!

Mike

New Member 1/11/2018

Views: 106

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Solid oak.

Need more and better pics, the first one is way too small, also show the bottom the inside and back

Outside chance it's ash also but 98% odds it's oak. 19th century but as the other Jeff said, impossible to divine.

looks to take a double paddle barrel key hard to just find one, prob call a lock smith to open, oak

"trunk 45 1/2"; from the bottom to the to 19";"

Length?

Width (or Depth)?

Height?

Picture of the un-stained wood (back, inside or bottom).

I would call it a blanket chest, not a trunk. Most chests are made of aromatic cedar which keeps moths and other bugs away.

Personally, I would like to see more pictures of it from different angles.  It looks pretty intricate.  Nice.

That's a lovely looking thing please keep us updated when you get it open.

I bought a suitcase that was locked, no key, for 25 cents.  I have a key collection, tried many of them. Few days later I found my old locking keyboard key and tried it, and voila, it opened! Old newspaper from 1945 was the noise maker. Sold the suitcase for $35.

Remember 'Wonderama' Tom? Saturday AM kids show and there was always one poor sap who sat a table with a locked trunk and 150 keys.

He spent 90 mins trying to open the trunk and if lucky, won a years supply of bubble gum or some such. That's how I feel when trying to find a key for a piece.

I found a skeleton key for a door lock that fit in my collection. Increases value to have a key.

Don't recall seeing "Wonderama"; didn't have a tv until I was in my teens.

My locksmithy gets $30 for a newly fitted key of cheesy pot metal. I always give it the old college try with the pile I already have.

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

SPONSORED

& Terms of Use

© 2018   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service