TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

European Black Powder Flask-intage Powder Flask-Plated Silver Flask-Antique Powder Flask- Black Powder Horn-Gunpowder Flask-Brass Flask

Hello Everyone,

Trying to date this black powder flask and figure out the country of origin. Not sure if its vintage or really old. We found it here in Belgium and think its plated silver with brass as a base metal.

Any help would be appreciated as always! 

Thanks in advance.

Lorenzo

Views: 88

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Most powder horns have two openings. The large end is for loading the horn and the small end is for loading the weapon.  Your item only has one hole which makes me believe it was used to hold snuff, called a "snuff mull".  The word mull is Scottish and many were made in Scotland.  Rams horns were used but many had silver caps or lids. 

Hello Tom,

I totally was sold it was powder horn but your explanation makes sense. I looked up the "snuff mull" and most of them have a very large opening and cant fin anything that looks like ours. The opening on ours is only 3/4 of an inch so not big enough to get the snuff out with your fingers. I will continue my search but thanks so much for your great feedback.

Lorenzo

I still believe it is more likely a powder flask, as the snuff mull opening is usually large enough to take a pinch of snuff.  Powder flasks often came with one tiny opening and were filled using powder flask funnels.

Ted-Cash-Black-Powder-Flask-Filling-Funnel-with-Wood-HandleTed-Cash-Black-Powder-Flask-Filling-Funnel-with-Wood-HandleImage result for powder flask funnel

Now, I don't necessarily believe your flask is the same origin as this one, it certainly could be, however, I am showing it more specifically because it too has the loops at the bottom and the website offers a good suggestion for their being there, that being for decoration.

www.aljantiques.com

A Fine Ottoman Silver, Iron, White Metal and Coral Gun Powder Flask, 18th -19th Century.

The lower part of the flask frame is attached to three pierced fittings probably used for hanging decorative tassels or pendants.

Hi Michael,

I had someone from another forum say the style is hundreds of years old but it doesn't have enough wear and it could be a reproduction .

When I look it over with my loop you can see in the design its not perfectly spaced like you would  see when its machined -reproduction. Not sure if this could point to its age or if it was hand carved.

Thanks so much for your feedback and hopefully we get some more info to solve the mystery .

Lorenzo

Sometimes, depending on the item of course, the best reproductions can be made by hand.

As for your item, if the original design is indeed that old then it would not have been made be hand anyway, so a careful reproduction made by hand would look more authentic anyway.

Unfortunately, I cannot place a time period on your piece, nor could I say if it is likely to be a authentic original or a repro, powder flasks are not in my wheelhouse of knowledge.

Thanks Michael for all of your help. 

Correction:

"if the original design is indeed that old then it would not have been made be hand anyway, so a careful reproduction made by hand would look more authentic anyway"

https://www.google.com/search?tbs=simg:CAES0gEJXjozwBH2reQaxgELEKjU...

A general Google search for Powder Flask as the whole family to look at.

Am wondering if it held black powder for a small cannon, or a signal cannon. The cap may have been used to measure the amount needed to light the fuse.  I searched for this idea but found nothing. It may have been used with a blunderbuss type gun too.  To quote Michael, "It's not in my wheelhouse of knowledge." (I like that as my ancestors operated steamboats on the Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, Gasconade,  and Yukon rivers.)

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

SPONSORED

& Terms of Use

© 2018   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service