I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

  I have this beautiful bowl and dish that I believe is a set.  The dish is 12 inches in diameter, the bowl is 8.5 inches in diameter and 3.5 inches tall.  I believe the pattern is Cube (Block) and that it is cut glass (I see no seams).  I also see a few very tiny air bubbles in the glass.  I'd really appreciate if anyone can verify the pattern and maybe provide a ballpark value on these pieces.


Views: 71


Replies to This Discussion

Hi Susan, If it is indeed "Cut" glass it is then NOT EAPG - which stands for "Early American PRESSED Glass". Now, some of the early EAPG pieces were flint crystal, but none are "Cut". Also, most American cut glass is floral, diamond, pinwheels, fans etc. Not cubes. So, it's most likely not American cut glass. Could very well be German, Polish, Irish (Waterford) or other companies.

Look extremely carefully all over the base both inside and out while tilting the glass and see if you can catch a glimmer of an etched signature anywhere. If you can find out who made it, it will make all the difference in value. It's lovely, But that is going to matter greatly. Nice find. :)

Vicki, thank you.  My bad using the term "cut".  I didn't see a seam, so just assumed.  I did find the cube pattern in EAPG.  It was a goblet, but looked like the same pattern.  Anyway, I will look at it closely to see if I find some mark or signature.  Thanks for your help!

I don't what the pattern is, but I do know it isn't Cube, cubist, block,  block-optic, waffle or Waterford or Wexford.  I also do not recognize it as being Depression glass.  It cannot be EAPG and cut glass at the same time.  Either or, but not both. I would guess pressed (or pattern) glass. Seams and mold marks can be buffed out.

I have seen this pattern used in the 1950s-60s, but do not know its name.

Sorry I can't ID it.

Your remark just appeared. It is not the Cube pattern of Depression Glass. I don't know about EAPG.

I found your eBay reference; says the pattern is CUBED by Lee, 1870s.  I have searched and can't find any company by that name. Replacements doesn't list them.  When I Google it I get your post and the ebay post, and nothing else.  I suspect a name misspelling.  Maybe it's McKee glass or maybe Lee is a first name.  Here is the ebay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-2-GOBLET-CUBE-GLASSES-EAPG-1880S-LEE-18...
Thanks for the information, Tom.  I didn't look at ebay for the pattern, I went to EAPG.com and found it under their pattern identification records as Cube AKA Block.  The only sample they showed was a goblet.  . Perhaps it is pressed and the lines buffed out.  I really appreciate you trying to identify it for me.  I'm gonna keep looking!
BTW, I checked on the ebay sale and it sold for $.99 USD. Doesn't appear to be much of a market for it.
I did, Donna.  Thanks for the suggestion, though.  I actually found the pattern on Early American Pattern Glass.com (EAPG.COM)  Tom suggested the mold lines may have been buffed out and that may be the case; however, it is very heavy, so I'm thinking it might be some type of crystal in the Cube (Block) pattern.


Pin on Pinterest

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

© 2014   Created by C. Dianne Zweig and Scott Liscomb

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service