TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

Views: 45

Replies to This Discussion

I wouldn't call it art nouveau myself.

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your feedback. I must need clarification on my classification too. It was the same footing that I have with other Art Nouveau vases that caused my confusion.

Thanks again!

It looks like it's ready to fall over; appears to be leaning.

Top looks like it was cut with a bottle cutter, but not polished.

Is that a vertical seam or mold mark?

I'd guess somebody melted a green bottle, twisted it and added some glass bits and cut the top off. Interesting results, kind of pretty.  I don't see Art Nouveau either.

Good Evening Tom,

I really appreciate your feedback. I must be mistaken about my classification as Art Nouveau. I saw similar with the same footing but I must have got it wrong. It is very stable and isn't leaning. Interesting that you see it that way in the photos. I don't see any vertical seams. It has that ombre coloring to it too. The white milk glass hobnail like accents look like teeth. It is very unusual looking to me.

Thanks again for your reply!

It’s called a thorn vase, or rustic vase. They were generally made in England and Bohemia c.1885-1905. Some examples were intended to be part of a larger tablescape, where small thorn vases were tied together with ribbon around a larger central “maypole” vase. I have a couple of them; one I bought in England and one I bought in Spain. You can find them in the photos on my IAO Page. I can’t say that I’ve seen the color combo of yours before. Perhaps it was an experiment on the part of the maker, or perhaps it is a later reprisal of the earlier design.

Good job, LB.  I have never come across a thorn vase before.  I did, however, think it looked much more intricate that someone's experiment.  Very interesting.

Thank you, Molly, for trying to figure it out with us!!!

Hi LB,

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge about this vase. I appreciate your time and insight into this piece. Now that you have educated me, it seems so obvious that the milk glass represents thorns. But I wouldn't have reached that without you. I will check out your IAO page too. 

Thanks Again!

Nicole

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

SPONSORED

& Terms of Use

© 2017   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service