On Facebook -JOIN I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles.
Here is the link for the group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/
Please join our FB group where YOU can post directly.

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

I have a habit of picking up items without knowing much about it and here's another case.

Looks like an old walking stick made out of metal and wrapped with leather(?) 

Can anyone provide a time period when this may have been produced/used and is there a proper name for such an item ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Views: 119

Replies to This Discussion

I'd call it a folk art cane or walking stick. Hard to say where it comes from though. Did you find it locally? Did the people you purchased from have any clues?

You said you think it's metal? Looks more like wood under the leather in center? The top might be a small tree branch burl with a copper plate of some kind on top, but the copper hasn't been out much, looks almost new, no patina to speak of? a replacement perhaps?

The only metal shape I'd think of here is maybe a ski pole?

Vicki,

Thanks for chiming in.

I just put a magnet to this item and both the top/bottom/and the area where there is a loss of material are all magnetic.

So we are then certain the object in question is metal! I'd still say modified Ski pole!

Any progress on where you found it, or if this item has been used in the past for walking sticks? It's probably next to impossible to date, unless you could ID a similar pole, with age, shape and etc. If its a ski pole, that doesn't necessarily mean it's "new", the poles of various kinds have been used for a very long time!

This item definitely has some age to it, so i doubt it's a ski pole.

I bought it at an estate sale so there is no history to gleam from it's former owner.

First This: 

Poles[edit]

Early skiers used one long pole or spear. The first depiction of a skier with two ski poles dates to 1741.[69] In 1959 Ed Scott introduced the large-diameter, tapered shaft, lightweight aluminum ski pole.[55]

Now, for a few photo's go to the "evolution of skiing" on the wiki page to see pics: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_skiing#Evolution_of_equipment

:)

Now, I also found this info, stating the use in USA of Metal for walking "canes" rather than sticks, but I can't seem to find exact dates or images?

American "walking canes"

In North America, a walking cane is a walking stick with a curved top much like a shepherd's staff, but shorter. Thus, although they are called "canes", they are usually made of material heavier than cane, such as wood or metal.

They're called "Walking sticks", not canes.  Canes have a crooked handle. Walking sticks were carried by gentlemen as part of their attire, and/or protection. Some walking sticks concealed swords, some had pistol grips.  The wealthy decorated theirs in gold, silver and jewels. Many had brass, bronze or copper adornment.

I believe your stick was originally wrapped with wet, stretched leather, and when it dried it shrunk to form fit the wooden base. The top would be nailed into the wood and the metal covering attached.

I can see some upside down, backwards numbers, "82?" When I was a kid we used to put pennies on the railroad track and the train would flatten them similar to yours.

I have a hand-carved, ebony wood SWORD STICK, with sword, brass ferules and aluminum* fittings. $5,000. USD.  thundhausen@hotmail.com.  My father obtained this in Cuba in the early 1950s, pre-Castro days.

*In the 1800s aluminum was hand mixed and was more valuable than silver!

Couple pics of my sword stick FOR SALE.

sold one of the on GUNBROKER.COM, several years ago,

Tom,

How positive are you that his is made out of wood ? The reason I ask is because the area of the walking stick that has a loss of it's leather wrapping is magnetic.

Mine is made out of wood. Am curious why you didn't mention that in your original post? 

If you read through the thread you will see that I did mention it.

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

& Terms of Use

© 2021   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service