On Facebook -JOIN I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles.
Here is the link for the group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/
Please join our FB group where YOU can post directly.

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

Did I stumble upon something ?

Views: 65

Replies to This Discussion

Worthpoint has a brass buckle just like yours. Hammer price is available to members only. They identify it as being a "reproduction"because they are unable to identify it.  I can't find any info on it, except that authentic buckles had serial numbers near the hook but not on the hook. Yours doesn't. Most buckles are rectangular, not square.

Tom,

I did some further research.

Check out this link:1820-1840 Belt Buckle

I think you stumbled excellently...quite the find.

yeah I found something goooooood !

Seller has a box of dug up buttons that I'm now guessing are civil war buttons. Got to get those !!!

Must have been tired when I wrote my reply last night...doesn't make sense to me and I wrote it!

2nd Reply:  Good find, looks like Worthpoint was wrong. Not a Civil War buckle, but it pre-dates it to 1820-1840s!

It isn't called a buckle, it's called a "belt plate".

In your newly found post there are 2 different Belt Plates. One (like yours) has 6 cannon balls stacked.  The other one (not like yours) has 14.

Did you polish your belt plate? Sure looks shiny. Usually artifacts are left "as is", but the choice is yours.

I terminated my earlier reply.

I haven't done anything with this prior to buying it at garage sale. That doesn't mean the previous owner didn't clean it up.

Once again, Tom, thank you for your tireless research !

Lloyd

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

& Terms of Use

© 2020   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service