TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

I am rethinking my earlier question because I just found an article about a similar goblet. (or chalice - I don't know which or what) My interest is mainly in the number 916 N on the bottom which is discussed in the text. Since I am not confident that this is the right connection, I will appreciate opinions about the number and whether or not the information could apply to what I have. From the article...

"silver stamp 916 is an old stamp and it does not figure among the alloys made in our country, it is rarely used to create jewelry, but is sometimes used for the production of dishes and cutlery sets. 

According to the properties and appearance of the silver stamp 916 it is similar to the 925 and is previously been popular in Western countries. An alloy of silver 916 stamp is  pure (91.6% of the noble silver metal).

Articles 916 of the stamp is required to have a brand and a numerical value, set the rules of the Russian Federation. Articles 916 of the stamp is required to have a brand and a numerical value, set the rules of the Russian Federation. When it comes to tea or table set, each item must carry the sample, otherwise the product may be counterfeit. (mine has 916 N on the bottom).

Thank you!

Views: 119

Replies to This Discussion

Chalice not chalis. Looks to be made of pewter. Numbers are probably production numbers from factory, the model number of this style. Probably made in the US since they don't have a country marking on them, could be late 1800s up to mid 1900s. Not enough info to guess on the manufacturer. If you care enough, you could research the major pewter manufacturers to see if you can find a match in a vintage catalog or online, but that won't be easy and would require a good bit of luck.

Thank you. Inspired to find more. 

Maybe they are tarnished silverplate water goblets. If they were part of a set with a tilting pitcher that could explain why there are only numbers and not a full maker's mark. The full mark might have been on the pitcher. 

Thank you! I found and added some information in my original post.

If you google 916 sterling you get many hits for Russian and Portuguese 916 sterling. Unknown what the "N" stands for, but I'm thinking in English, not some other language. Looks like it's heavily tarnished silver. Pic showing underside of rim shows damage to rim, so maybe it is a softer, pewter metal as suggested by Jeff; can't tell. Suggest polishing it. I'd call it a "goblet" but depending on its size it could be a "vodka shot cup" or an "egg cup", both are same shapes.  A "shot" is 1 fluid ounce or (.03 liters).

Forgot the size! 6 inches high and 3 inches across the top - so a goblet I guess.

I will try to clean it but have to run out for a silver cleaner. Any suggestions for that? or a household product? 

Logic and deduction states, if the number 916 is upright, therefore the letter is upright. The letter is "N". Russian Cyrillic N is backwards to English N so it's not Russian. Could be Portuguese, but meaning unknown.

Note, that blank oval space you call it is actually called a monogram cartouche where the owner's initials or name is engraved. 

I use "Wright's Silver Cream" found at most grocery stores. Works well. Pad is inside the jar. I use an old t-shirt to polish it.

Thank you. I see that logic - N

Based on the location of the serifs, it would be a Z and not an N. If it is silverplate like I think it is, the number would indicate a pattern and the letter would indicate something else, like the date. The number and letter may not have been stamped at the same time by the same person, which results in multiple orientations based on carelessness. I have pieces of silverplate with multiple stamps like this.

I'm not convinced that is an N. It looks like a Z to me, stamped perpendicular to the 916.

I totally agree. I wondered if it was a Z !

This isn't a Russian or Portugese silver mark, just production/model numbers. I think it is highly likely to be pewter and highly unlikely to be silver but it is easy enough to take it to a Jeweler who buys scrap silver and ask him if it is silver. He will test it for free (if he wants to charge you for the test just go somewhere else) and tell you whether it is silver or not. You can buy a test kit yourself if you have more than this one item to test.

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

& Terms of Use

© 2018   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service