On Facebook -JOIN I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles.
Here is the link for the group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/
Please join our FB group where YOU can post directly.

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

I did a google image search and came up empty.

I'm guessing it was worn by someone who attended a military school, but that's just a guess.

Views: 130

Replies to This Discussion

One stripe on sleeve is rank of Ensign (USN) or 2nd Lieutnant (USA, USAF, USMC). Brass Button is an officer's button.

Where is the star located--can't see it in any picture except the one?  If on the shoulder it indicates a "Line Officer".

2nd Look, I can see the stripe on the sleeve with the star above it which tells me the picture is upside down. The star on the sleeve indicates a "Line Officer".

3rd Look, motto reads, in French (clue):  toil, jours, pret; in English: "toil, days, ready"

French Foreign Legion?  a guess...will keep looking.

While looking at French uniforms I remembered that the brass buttons on subject uniform were US officers buttons.

Anybody remember the sit-com, "F-TROOP" on tv?

absolutely. 

I'm beginning to think it pays to get this dry cleaned.

"Jacob Reeds Sons" - There is a clothing label in the uniform. What military has that type of label?

Vicki, Officers, especially, have custom made uniforms for different occasions with the tailor's name (REED'S ) on a label. And the uniform is authorized to be worn.

The STYLE of the jacket is the same as that worn during WW I which ended Nov 1919, except I don't see a star on the sleeve and the buttons were a dark brown metal, not brass. The label is dated 1924 but the jacket could be newer.

Inside the collar and pinned to it I can see a single gold bar, the rank of a 2nd Lieutenant. It should be on the shoulder strap. There should be another bar for the other shoulder strap.

A requirement for all uniforms was to have the owner's name stenciled or written inside. At most military bases uniforms were laundered together and without a name could not be returned to the owner.

Tom,

Are you leaning toward deciding that this is a uniform worn by a member of the US military as opposed to a student who went to a military "type" institution ?

After much review my feeling is that the jacket is WW I or thereafter, but the shoulder patch is fake, possibly British or European. The eagle is shown in the "screaming eagle"pose which is not a known USA patch nor can I find it on any English or UK uniforms. I didn't check all UK uniforms. The motto is written in French but the buttons are USA.

Beneath the eagle's talons is a "wreath" with 5 twists. That is commonly found on UK sterling silver. The wreath is only used on silver and depicts that the coat-of-arms is missing.  When used on any other material the wreath IS NOT USED. The wreath always has 6 twists, not 5. For these reasons I believe the patch is fake.

Correction?

The wreath below the eagle's talons has 5 twists.  I said it should have 6 to be historically correct.  I can see that the wreath makes an upright 90 degree turn and what looks like a comma could be the missing twist...from there the wreath becomes a banner in which the words "tujours pret" are contained.

could this be from the valley forge military academy ?

Paula,

Thanks for providing your comment. I looked at the VF military academy web site and I don't see any uniform/patch that matches this one.

Lloyd

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

& Terms of Use

© 2020   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service