TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

I came across a set of 6 of these Brass Drawer Handles/Pulls and I thought they were very unusual so I purchased them. I did find one online for sale and it said that they thought it was done in a "Worlds Fair Motif" from the 1920's-1930's. If this is what they are would there been a lot of them made ? If anyone has any information on them I would appreciate the input ! Thanks !

Views: 125

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/09/09/f1/0909f1f6f08427ec...

Found this on Pinterest. Possibly earlier then the 1920s from this photo? 

Quite awesome. 

I think they are a version of the Eastlake or Aesthetic Movement style from the 1880s. 

Thank you Jeremy ! I really appreciate the info !

these are East lake style drawer pulls 1880s

Thank You Craig ! So I guess these would be considered East Lake "stamped" pulls correct ?

Amazing what info you can find when it's pictured UPSIDE DOWN! Upright it shows XXI which is the year 2001. Maybe it celebrated Y2K but not a Worlds Fair. The design bespeaks Y2K.  Y2K was actually the year 2000, however the true Millennium didn't start 1-01-2000, but rather on 1-01-2001 even though it was celebrated a year earlier.

To confirm this the nut is welded to the washer, which is a relatively new method, last 30-50 years guessing. The condition of the brass which could be brass plating over steel would cause erosion and rust, the result of being submerged in water. If so, the wood would have been ruined, hence the removal of the hardware. Even if it's not magnetic, the screws were and they would rust and cause discoloration.

IS IT MAGNETIC?

That's very creative, Tom, but I believe complete fantasy. The hardware has exactly the look of antique brass and steel. The corrosion on the brass appears to be brass corrosion, and the steel looks old. I have seen that combined nut and washer configuration. They're not welded, just forged or cast that way. And why would anyone make hardware celebrating the year 2001 that looks like hardware of over a century earlier?

You're entitled to your ideas which I think are misguided. The nut-washer is a relatively new method not seen in the 1800s. For that reason alone it can't be 19th Century or earlier.

It's also creative as you say to presume it's from a World's Fair when you have no clue which one it was. That is complete "fantasy", and poor guess work.

BTW did you look at them upside down? They appear to have empty holes for handles which IMHO are also upside down.

"Forged" is a type of weld ya know.

I am very sorry that I did not post a pic with the handle, my bad. When I found these pulls they were layered in black paint with a layer of grey paint under that. In fact there was so much paint on them it was hard to make out the design so I stripped most of the paint off. This is the way the handles were attached when I got them so if they were meant to be mounted "upside down" then the handles would be backwards, and they are not magnetic except for the nut and bolt. As I stated before the information regarding the "World's Fair Motif" was taken from the post I found of the only other one of these that I could find online, and the author of that post did not seem to be sure if that information was correct. I have cleaned and polished a lot of Brass in my days and the one thing that I do know about these is that they are NOT plated, any discoloration you may see that looks like steel is residual grey paint. Thanks !

Attachments:

I thought this listing was interesting, as the handles are the same as yours:

https://www.antiquesnavigator.com/d-1506644/4-ornate-antique-victor...

I'll bet whoever made these also made yours. That said, I have to agree with Craig. Yours are probably cast brass, late 19th century. The World's Fair idea got me wondering if the globe and star motif pertains to the 1893 Columbian Exposition, rather than the 1933 World's Fair. There were a few oversized globe displays there, as well as an unrealized globe-shaped Columbus monument.

http://www.fulltable.com/VTS/m/mon/05.jpg

Oh wow that is cool thank you so much for bringing that to my attention !! The handles are the same ! Thank you again !!

RSS

SPONSORED

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

© 2017   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service