TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

Views: 75

Replies to This Discussion

found this gem at a thrift and didn’t know what to make of it.  One of my buds thinks it might be Coralene but when I go to look at those, they are mostly porcelain items that are fired.  I think this might be a plaster base.  I did a google search and didn’t find much.  Any ideas?

Real coralene was made with coral. Yours looks like glass crystals or dust. Many reproductions have been made.  I can't tell for certain without a hands-on appraisal.  Take it to a reputable antique dealer.

I think you're mixing coralene up with something else. If this is made of plaster, then it wouldn't be coralene since I don't think plaster would survive the high temp firing needed to melt the beads, so this would be some sort of simulated Coralene with beads glued on?

I think this is a good working definition: "Japanese Coralene is a ceramic decorated with small raised beads and dots. It was first made in the nineteenth century. Designs for coralene beads included coral branches, seaweed, daisies, birds, and fish. Later wares made to imitate coralene had dots of enamel. There is also another type of coralene that is made with small glass beads on glass containers. " https://www.kovels.com/price-guide/pottery-porcelain-price-guide/ja...

It's along the idea of coralene, but this isn't it. Real coralene has little glass beebees (not beads with holes in them) enameled to a ceramic or glass base, as Jeff said. Your piece is also kind of reminiscent of a memory jug, with various items attached to it. I think the safest bet is just to call your horse a mixed media piece.

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

& Terms of Use

© 2018   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service