TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

These two tiny paintings on glass appear to have been re-purposed as buttons somewhere along the way. The one with the swallow has a Scovill Co. metal shank added and the smaller black trimmed one has a nondescript metal shank added too. My button experts think they were not buttons originally. They are so well painted and decorated that I feel they must have had a real purpose:  tiles? game chips? The top one is about 3/4" long and the other is maybe an inch. Anyone?

Views: 46

Replies to This Discussion

Are you certain these are glass?  They look like ceramic tile to me. The patterns are reminiscent of "blue willow" which is English porcelain.  

With a ceramic tile cutter or a glass cutter, small tiles can be made and polished smooth. When I Googled, Blue willow tile, clicked Images, many small tiles came up. A few in the beige color.

I even found an I-pad cover in "blue willow"...

Hi Tom

Thanks! You got me back on the trail today and I think I have them figured out.  I am pretty certain that they are not ceramic and know that they are complete pieces, the images are fully realized. I saw a couple on eBay that look to be the same material repurposed as earrings. What I think they are, are pieces designed to be used in jewelry, perhaps bezel set in a ring or in a story bracelet.  Admittedly most of the Persian story bracelets I see online are made of ivory or bone. Didn't find any glass ones.

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

SPONSORED

& Terms of Use

© 2017   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service