TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

Came in as a donation to our seniors support group. Haven't been able to find anything like it and any help will be greatly appreciated.
Roughly 2" X 3/16" Has a small hole in the top that could accomodate a metal ring for a pendant. Both sides are the same to my untrained eye.

Views: 72

Replies to This Discussion

Michael is our go-to guy for this.

Maybe a poker chip from Macau?

Thanks Tom, I'll do a little research on Chinese Poker Chips. At least its a place to start.

I don't think it's a poker chip, but rather a Chinese "Lucky coin" (Feng Shui) to be worn around your neck often with a beaded necklace. Other Asian countries, Japan and Korea have similar medallions. I think the two characters (letters) in the center define its use.  That's where Michael comes in, he is Chinese and reads it. 

I Ching (Pronounced, Yee Tsing)

Ching = Book, I = changes

Book of Changes

The three lined symbols are representative of numbers.  There are three coins used with I Ching, though not legal tender.  I Ching has been used for, and misused for, fortune telling from the earliest days of I Chings inception.  Shake and drop the coins and the values determine a single result, many throws culminate to the overall result.  As Tom mentioned, "lucky coins" are coins kept or together somewhere, in order to promote wealth.  These "lucky coins" can either be legal tender, or I Ching coins.  I Ching coins have a square hole in the centre, as do some of the legal tender coins, which does make tied them together very straight forward.

The I Ching wheel you have may not be used specifically for I Ching but could be simply an item created for aesthetic appeal, incorporating the I Ching theme.  Others do use such wheels, much like a reminder guide for the results and categories for each throw.

There are 64 number symbols in I Ching.

Related image

You're good Michael!

I was trying to edit this, as I wanted to change something.  In the version I am most familiar with, 3 coins are used, however, in the interest of more well-rounded information, there are 2, 3, 4, 6 or 8 coin methods.  There is a lot more information on I Ching available everywhere online, as well as many variations on how to use and incorporate I Ching, as well as some conflicting historical information.

Wikipedia Information

If you goof up after your edit time (15minutes) has expired, Copy your Post, then terminate your post using the blue bold X in right margin, then click Paste and your old, erroneous post will reappear. You can then correct your errors, change pics, history, misspelled words, or whatever.  Don't forget to Add Reply.

Very good, I wasn't aware I could delete the posts, only that I couldn't edit them after 15 minutes.

Are they visible immediately upon clicking the Add Reply button, or does it become visible after the 15 minutes editing grace window has expired?

I think you can see your post, but others can't until after 15 minutes.  However if you sign off your post goes up immediately. You can edit your new post as usual.

If you copy/paste you have 15 minutes to make corrections.

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

SPONSORED

& Terms of Use

© 2017   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service