TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

I just bought this hutch at a garage sale ($75).  I'm going to use it in my house and I don't feel that it is very valuable because the fancy carving is simply glued on but it does have some older features (hand cut dovetailing?, old style stick and groove shelf adjustments, skeleton key locks).  

Just for my own interest, does anyone have a feel for date and or origin of manufacture?  

Views: 151

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Good points - now that you mention it, it doesn't match at all.  Huh!  Well, anyway, I still love it.  It's going in the kitchen to hold pots and pans.  

Any thoughts about age or country of origin?  

In researching this I found the same type and color wood on a Chinese, Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) cabinet. The glued-on appliques says late 1800s-early 1900s,or newer. The dovetail joinery has a modern design, last 100 years.

On the other hand, viewing it from the side, the top and bottom panels seem to be a match.  It is the doors and the top piece which appear to be different...Added?  Perhaps redesigned?  Either way they look very nice together.

I agree. While the top and bottom are stylistically inconsistent as pointed out by Tom, the construction, tone of the wood, measurements (to the naked eye), indicate it is not a marriage as such. Complete design integrity from an aesthetic point of usually marks top class furniture based on the 'Western eye', but often the aesthetic or interpretation of an aesthetic differ according to culture. It is to do with understanding of proportion, scale, motif, etc etc. Appears well constructed. 

I inspected it all very closely and it is, in fact,  all an original piece.  The back, sides and interior all match and, in fact, by the way it is constructed,  could not be separated without compromising the bottom or the top. Also, all the locks (top and bottom) and door hinges are of the same exact design.  Now I'm in the hunt to find a key to fit.  

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

& Terms of Use

© 2018   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service