TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

HI again all,

So from the same household I have this more modern cloisonne' lidded bowl/egg/ginger jar. It seems to be a quality piece, gilt feet and lid rings-anyone have any info on it, use, name, value etc? Thanks,

the other jeff

Views: 114

Replies to This Discussion

Similar to the French we sell with one caveat-age seems almost irrelevant to price anymore with the collapse of antiques values. I pay about the same for an 18th century armoire as I do for a modern copy on the used market.

Only the high end, 1%er item have much value left these days...

The peacock item has handles and each handle has a Link of Chain attached. I've never seen a bowl with a lid with chains, but I have seen many censers so described.

Jeff, As for value it's difficult to say. My opinion is that the red and blue vase is newer, 1960s-now. The wires of cloisonne appear to be pressed or painted rather than being actual wires pressed into the wet clay. The latter method would leave a bumpy surface visible and physically touchable. Without a "hands on" look it is impossible for me to give a value.

The chain links are decorative on items like these, most notably because the lid does not interlock with the base and there are no chain links attached to the base, you don't lift by the lid.

Censers, when suspended, are done so either without the lid, or with a lid which possesses cut out holes, and always from the base.

Jeff, regarding the style of cloisonne, would you say the bowl is in fact metal, or do you believe it to be made of a clay of some sort?

Cloisonne was created on metal items, the way they prevented the thin metal divider lines from being felt above the surface was by adding more layers of clear over top building up layer by layer until the top surface was level with the top of the metal dividers, by which I am referring to the thin metal line visible as part of your design.

Whenever I've seen cloisonne in clay, it is usually the more modern polymer clay and is referred to as faux cloisonne.

If anyone is unfamiliar with the process of how cloisonne are made, I'd recommend checking out some videos on youtube, there are a few good ones there which illustrate nicely the slow, methodical, at times tedious process of producing cloisonne works.

They are both brass based with genuine brass wire imbedded in the lacquer.

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

SPONSORED

& Terms of Use

© 2018   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service