TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

HI again all,

So from the same household I have this more modern cloisonne' lidded bowl/egg/ginger jar. It seems to be a quality piece, gilt feet and lid rings-anyone have any info on it, use, name, value etc? Thanks,

the other jeff

Views: 112

Replies to This Discussion

WTH, while we're at it, this is from the same estate. hand marked 'CHINA' on bottom.

Though I don't recognise the pattern on this vase, the China mark would indicate around 1920s-1960s

WTH...another censer.

How much incense did these people burn, ashram owners?

In China, incense is used in many religious ceremonies, weddings and funerals, medicinal areas, daily usages like we would air fresheners today and in days of old as a method of timekeeping.

It is used more widely than the use of perfume as it is used by the young and old, male and female.

Most ginger containers had a smaller opening at the very top, opening so large and halfway down greatly reduces its overall capacity.

Also, it may not be a censer, it's more likely simply a lidded bowl. Censers typically had handles and/or a lid with openings.

Is there any maker mark on this item?

No marks on any of them other than the hand painted 'CHINA'.

Jeff, when you post 2 (or more) different items on the same post it confuses people. Now we have to ID the vessel of which we speak EACH TIME. 

Michael, I called the first vessel (gold, black,white peacocks,handles) a Censer. You are calling the second vessel (red & blue) a "ginger jar".  It has no lid, nor do I see a lip to receive a lid, therefore I'd call it a Vase.  Marked "China" made for export to English speaking countries.

Thanks, trying not to be a forum hog.

The peacock item is what I was describing as likely being a lidded bowl as opposed to a censer.

The blue and red item is what I spoke of as a vase from around 1920s-1960s.

If the peacock item also has a Red China painted on it, then it is of the same era as the vase.

Thanks encore, no marks on the lidded piece.

Dare I ask values since I got the censer so wrong?

Sadly, I am not well versed enough in cloisonne items to offer a value for you.

Unfortunately, cloisonne is very difficult to value unless you know what era it is from.  Dating such items comes in one or more of the following; identifying maker marks, recognition of the design applied to the item and observation of the quality and execution of the cloisonne work done.  Once you understand each of these areas and how they may or may not apply to the item in question, then you are in a much better position to date the item.

For instance, I've seen some in similar style touted as 19th century, but that could be as much of a guess as anyone else may make without knowing for sure.  To say your is 19th century base solely on a similar matching style from a website I've seen previously of similar items being sold online, is not the true way to date your item, especially if you intend to insure or sell it.

Simply guessing the wrong century can make an enormous difference to value.  Best find someone who is certain about the design and age of the item in order to obtain a value.

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

SPONSORED

& Terms of Use

© 2018   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service