TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

Here's a tripod table I picked up cheap because of condition - cracking veneer on the top. I believe it to be all original with the exception of some missing veneer and edge banding. Solid turned central post and legs, hand dovetail legs to post, old screws. The construction would be correct for late 18th century, but the style doesn't look that old to me, so I believe it is somewhere in the 19th century, but which decade? Unusual style of leg for tripod table; extra points for finding a match. What's your theory?

Views: 86

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Tom, see below for better pics showing it is not machine made or routered or plywood. Definitely earlier than 1900's. Dovetails to attach legs certainly not unique - in fact it was used for all tables of this sort before mid 1800's. Which is why I pointed out the dovetail - by the late 1800's it would have been a machine dowel joint. Also hand planed on the bottom, another sign of being relatively early. Legs are solid wood with no veneer (only veneer is on top) 7/8 leg width at bottom taper to 1/2 in at top. Standard table height of 27-1/2 in. with many possible uses. Why Quaker or Amish - I don't see that at all. Mahogany and mahogany veneer on some whitish wood. Not sure what the secondary wood is yet (maybe birch like Molly's example?)

The legs are certainly unusual which is why this table is hard to place in the Federal to Empire range, but that is why I brought it here. Must be some out there somewhere though.

It's hard to diagnose furniture from pictures. I can now see that the legs are not plywood or veneered.

I thought Amish/Quaker due to the simplicity and lack of design. The legs are quite blah, no design tying it to any period. The latch-hinges were internationally used and apparently available for purchase. The ring turnings are accomplished using a lathe, powered by foot, water, steam or electricity.

The ring turnings are the only design I can see.

Those vintage wooden hand planes were also used as routers. The blades had various shapes that created designs.

Gosh Jeff, would you say that the (birdcage area - I forget what the proper term is?) Was actually a seat of sorts? Like a chair? If so, I think it is indeed 1700's, but I'm forgetting what the terms are for that design trait as well.

It's been far to long, since I've seen such a lovely antique table. :)

Thank you so much, that's very kind.

Mine is just a table and doesn't convert to a seat (far too small), but I think you meant one like this one (from the web, not mine):

LB, thanks for your comment, I hadn't even noticed it had edge banding till you asked for a pic. Here's the top - clearly damaged but I'll minimize the cleanup since I don't like to mess with what looks like original finish. The legs are driving me crazy though!

Image result for Reverse S-scrolled tripod tilt top legs

This one was labeled Mid 18th century Mahogany Tripod Table....tripod?

Pre 1825? Chippendale then? The tilt tops were primarily for tea, weren't they?

I hardly ever get to see the gorgeous old E. Coast pieces, being in MI., we are so saturated with the Grand Rapids copies of Everything! LOL

The legs on yours seem to have a unique transitional Chippendale to Empire flair (like this Boston one - https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/tables/tilt-top-tables-dessert-ta...). The overall octagonal form is similar to some of these Massachusetts examples:

https://www.aaawt.com/html/item/feat_1173.html

And the "sold" #1530 halfway down this page:

http://kociandepasqua.com/inventory2.html

I do agree with Tom that it could've been used as a candle stand, but that ring-shaped surface damage on the table top sure looks like it was from a hot teapot. Love the original finish!

Thanks so much for the research, very informative and helpful and I learn a lot from your posts. By the way, if you're ever in the Providence area, it's worth a visit to the dealer in your first link. He has a huge building packed with amazing authentic antiques that is well worth the visit. His prices are atmospheric so not a place to shop as much as window shop.

As to the usage for the table, I think you're right about the damage and it's larger than it needs to be for a single candle, but we should all bear in mind that later generations sometimes put names on antiques as if they could only had one use, whereas in reality back then a table was a table, just as it is today. So I think this table could have worked for either - or maybe both!

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

SPONSORED

& Terms of Use

© 2017   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service