TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

I bought this at a local antique shop & was wondering if anyone could further identify it, purpose approximate age, etc. I assume it was originally a wash stand but am not positive. Thanks for any assistance. It is 29" tall & is approximately 15" in diameter. It has a heavy beveled edge marble top resting over the top opening currently. It was marked as 1800's Bastille.

Views: 79

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

well, I've never heard of a style of furniture called "Bastille"? I'm no expert but, after 22 yrs as an antique dealer and estate liquidator, thats a new one for me! I thought "Bastille" was a celebration of French Revolution, independence?

Your pretty stand looks more like a late Victorian candle stand or parlor table to me. It appears to be Mahogany, with nice marble top. Ca. 1870-1890 ish. Quite possibly American. 

We have a few experts on antique furniture here, lets hope they chime in to help you!

Here is the same style in a game table version. The details look very similar. Possibly they were made by the same manufacturer. I believe the date is 1870s to 1880s, Renaissance Revival style, walnut wood. Your table looks more like a plant stand to me. Do you feel the marble top is not original? Is "Bastille" marked on the piece, or was that a seller's tag? I haven't seen any maker's marks on my table, which, as you can see, requires restoration.

What Vicki said. 1880s Victorian mahogany 'eastlake'ish marble top side table.

How as it marked? Tag or stamp?

The Bastille label was on a tag from the antique shop where purchased. I cannot find any markings on the stand.

It's a nice bandsaw made eastlake type plant stand.

I would not call it Eastlake. It is the other popular style in that period--Renaissance Revival. Eastlake was more geometric and characterized by incised carvings.

Might such a table also have been used for calling cards? http://www.thecompletevictorian.com/CallingCardEtiquette.html

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

SPONSORED

& Terms of Use

© 2018   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service