TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

I picked up a small group of four plates and a pitcher at auction a couple of years ago.  Initially, they look like medieval, but my eye says late 19th century art pottery.  The body is of course frit, the glaze is heavy and runny.  Three of the four have different patterns, including flowers, deer of some sort and birds as shown here.

Is anyone familiar with this pottery?  Can you point me in the direction of determining who did this?

Views: 81

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

"The body is of course frit" - meant to say coarse frit, or of a coarse texture (frit may not be the correct word).

Sorry - I'm just learning how to use this.  Here are the images

I was just about to ask you what the definition of "frit" was exactly - LOL

I've not ever heard that term used in relation to pottery. Can you tell me - is the body color reddish?

I suspect what you have there is "Redware" given that name for the color of the pottery. Was very popular folk art style used in both UK and US. Some do date as early as late 18th century, but few of that age survive, and most are also curved in there plate shapes, yours does not seem to fit that.

The age you stated is probably closer - but I'd say mid-19th just to be safe. Also think it is "transferprinted" decoration, as opposed to hand done - which the old one's are.

If you goggle Redware in images, you can find many examples - My guess is that yours would be English.

Nice find!

Thanks!

The piece is not transferware, the decoration as well as the size of each is different - even the two that have the same decoration vary.  The body is a yellowish brown - not yellowware though.  I was thinking it looked a bit pre-raphael like.  The decoration is not incised, but looks a bit like applied by pen or brush under the glaze.

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

& Terms of Use

© 2018   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service