I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

Does anybody think any of these books are valuable or okay to sell at yard sale????

TITLE AND AUTHOR, ETC. CONDITION

Famous Men and Great Events of the 19th Century Illustrated (author page missing) Poor Condition

The Story of Our Civilization (Our Oriental Heritage) by Will Durant Published by Simon & Schuster - New York - 1935, Copyright 1935 Fair   1878 - Illustrated with charts, maps, portraits, Undated Good Condition

Under Other Flags Lectures, Speeches) Fair Condition 

The Library of South Africa Illustrated with original drawings and photographs under direction of George Spiel, Copyright 1899 by George Spiel Fair Condition

History of the United States Clark Ridpath, A.M. sketches and diagrams Fair to Good Condition

Three Small Red Leather Books:

Poems by Robert Burns

Enoch Arden by Tennyson

Barrack Room Ballads by Kipling Fair Condition

Ben-Hur, A Tale of The Christ, Bu Lew. Wallace - 1st Ed 1880 Good Condition

Emerson’s Essays L. Allison Co.)

A Short History of the United States Channing (1901), with Maps and llustrations Poor to Fair (For School Use) By Edward Maynard’s English Classic Series No. 235-236, With Explanatory Notes

Hill Monument Oration and Other Patriotic Selections Copyright 1906 - New York Good"Washington’s Farewell Address - Webster’s First Bunker (First Series), By R. W. Emerson (New York: Wm.

Abraham Lincoln, The Man of the People 1914 Edition Fair Condition

Political Works of Alfred Lord Tennyson, With a Biographical and Critical Introduction Publisher Thomas Y. Crowell & Co. (floral cloth hard cover with pages gilded in gold) Fair to Good Condition, by Eugene Parsons (Copyright 1885 & 1897)

Longfellow’s Early Poems, With Biographical Sketch Haskell Dole (Copyright 1893) Publisher Thomas Y. Crowell & Co. (floral cloth hard cover with pages gilded in gold) Fair Condition

The Poems of Adelaide A. Procter (Complete Edition), With an Introduction by Charles Dickens Crowell & Co. (pages gilded in gold only at top) Fair - May, 1858, Publisher Thomas Y.

The Works of Edgar Allan Poe" COMMEMORATIVE EDITION Copyright 1904 Funk  Wagnalls Company (Set of ten books - all books are 4" x 6") (Also Extra Volumes II and IX) Fair to Good Condition

The Best of the World’s Classics - Restricted to Prose

by Funk & Wagnalls) Volumes I, III, IV, V, VI, IX & X only - all books are 4" x 6" Fair(Copyright 1909 By Nathal (By Norman Hapgood), prepared especially for schools by John (Four Books in One Volume), Superbly by William Jennings Bryan (5th Ed) 1905 (Travels, (Many Portraits)

Views: 103

Replies to This Discussion

another that is older than 1950 you should probably look up. Also check if it's a "First Edition" should say somewhere on the front end papers, also check for author autographs.
*Sry - that was "ANY" go to Abebooks.com.
Hi Judy - selling books by any author or title is difficult at best - you need to be a virtuoso in order to sell a book - or in other words - be able to determine the condition of the book - it's printing date - and edition number. Then there is subject matter, and desirability. But the bottom line is condition. Then there is the fact that many 19th century authors (even earlier depending on country) have been reproduced by other publishers who claim - this is a special edition. Without seeing your books - but knowing that your titles and authors were most likely in 2nd and 3rd printing - the values would be low. However - look for the exterior of the book and the material which was used in book-binding - up until about 1900 - many books were specifically bound by a book binder - who prided themselves in the quality of material used. Mass production of books began around the 1870's so quality became cheaper - and can be more visually seen. Still books are books - and because our  world is trending to ebooks et-el - there is still a market for those who wish to presereve hard copy. I suggest that you google the title, author, and publisher and date- look critically at the condition - and devalue the book accordingly
Thank you so-o-o much for the time you spent writing to me.  I will do as you say and, since I am in no hurry, will make it a project in the future.

ABEbooks has a lot of listings, but they don't appear to be the most "casual seller" friendly for old books (modern books they are very user friendly).   I have a collection of old (early 1900s) Minstrel and Plays that I am preparing to liquidate - most in pretty good shape following ABE guidance.  I put a few on my IAntique Profile.

Judy, a starting point in determining if you have a 1st Edition (and this is very basic info, and not the only thing to rely on) is check the publishing and copyright dates. If they're the same with no mention of other dates, that's good. On books that are a bit newer, you'll sometimes see a list of consecutive numbers with the copyright info (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 etc). If only the '1' is missing, it's a first edition.

Which printing it is also affects the value. a First printing of a first edition is the highest, 2nd printing of a 1st edition a bit less, and so on. It also depends on how many were printed overall. Sometimes the binding and/or color of the boards changed with later printings, as well.

These things, along with condition, rarity and market demand will determine what a book is worth, and it fluctuates. I've sold many 20th century books for more than antique ones, simply because there was a demand at that particular time.

Here's a brief primer on first editions:

http://www.emptymirrorbooks.com/collecting/first-edition-values.html

Besides AbeBooks and alibris, this is another good site:

http://www.biblio.com/rare-books.html

and this:

http://www.abaa.org/

You can also do a search under Google for the title and author, and click 'shopping', then sort low to high price (or the other way around) to get an idea of what the asking prices are for different titles, but be sure that whatever you're looking at matches what you have because there often is a very wide range of pricing within a title.

Hope that helps a little bit :o) 

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH. I HAD PRETTY MUCH GIVEN UP ON GETTING HELPFUL INFORMATION. I HAVE SOME CHILDREN'S BOOKS I BELIEVE ARE FIRST EDITION WITH LITHOGRAPHS. I HAVE LITTLE BLACK SAMBO THAT I HAD AS A CHILD. I HAVE SOME OLD OLD CHILDREN'S BOOKS THAT WERE MY MOM'S TOO. THANK YOU AGAIN. I SHALL CHECK OUT THESE SITES.

RSS

Pin on Pinterest

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

© 2014   Created by C. Dianne Zweig

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service