TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

I found these two Sterling Silver spoons today in a Virginia thrift store; they were in a package of several silver plated spoons and forks.  I collect vintage Mexican Sterling Silver jewelry and instantly noticed the Inca face with the name "Peru" and "925" directly underneath.  The package was priced at $6.99, these together weigh 22.4 grams, certainly not worth selling as scrap.  One of the spoons is slightly bent but love the intricate and unusual designs of the metalwork on the face and body of the Inca entity portrayed.  The faces have an almost art deco type look.

The thrift store employee(s) who assigned these to be sold as silverplate obviously looked on the back for a mark, didn't see one and also did not notice the "925" mark on the front.

Views: 650

Replies to This Discussion

Very Nice Find Mark! I like the Mexican and Peruvian silver - I particularly like the jewelry! :)

Several years ago I could find quite a bit of Sterling Silver both jewelry and kitchen items in various thrift stores; now they seem to do a good job identifying and separating these pieces in order to retail them thru their online auctions.  If you search iantiqueonline for "Sterling Silver Aladdins Lamp" you can see another great find that I still own, a 6 inch long Mexican oil lamp found a thrift store for $4.99.

RSS

SPONSORED

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

© 2017   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service