TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

I have recently acquired a set of "1847 Rogers Bros" silver plated flatware, though perhaps I should say "formerly" silver-plated since most of the silver has worn off.
I would like to know what year it was actually produced.

I am aware that just because 1847 is in the stamp does not mean that it was made in 1847. Many companies from centuries/decades past continue to stamp their products with the founding year of the company. On the other hand, I have also found numerous sites saying that in 1898 Rogers Bros joined the "International Silver" consortium and afterwards began stamping their products "1847 Rogers Bros IS" to reflect that affiliation. Since mine lacks the "IS" that would seem to mean that it pre-dates 1847. (Again, I can cite sources to attest to this). Thus, one would THINK it would not be difficult to find a matching pattern and a subsequent date that this was produced, since I only have a window of 51 years to explore, right?

Wrong.

I have looked through hundreds of patterns and on every "1847 Rogers Bros" search I have come up empty on pattern and date. One of the photos here is a close-up of a butter knife bearing the stamp "1847 Rogers Bros. Warranted 12 DWT". I read someplace that DWT has something to do with the weight of the silver plating.

Any insights would be gratefully appreciated.

Bradley

Views: 762

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Bradly, Oh dear, that is not in the best condition, it is also not a very collectible pattern, I'm sorry to tell you.

I think it is something like "colonial" or similar? I just don't remember exactly. However, if you will go to the above area marked "links" you will find several very good resources to determine the exact pattern name, and usually a date of manufacture as well.

I'm sorry to tell you that silver plate of any sort is of little value these days because no one wishes to do the needed polishing for items that are not full sterling silver. There are some very pretty, and ornate patterns of flatware in silver-plate that are still highly collectible and some do bring nice prices to. I'm afraid this is not one of them. I'm sorry. :(

No worries. I got that bad news from Liz at Lizjewel.com just after I posted here.

She broke it to me gently too, saying that the knives had a plain pattern that has been widely copied by numerous companies over a period that could span from 1847 to the 1920s and there likely was not even a name for this pattern, merely "Plain."  I am not terribly disappointed. I value them more for their history than re-sell value. I have a particular reverence for my grandparents (now long deceased) and this would be from the era of their young adulthood -- the parents of the "Greatest Generation" -- so I am absolutely okay with the forks and knives that use to eat my meals (yes, I use them) coming from that time.

RSS

SPONSORED

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

© 2017   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service