On Facebook -JOIN I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles.
Here is the link for the group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/
Please join our FB group where YOU can post directly.

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

I have a set of 5 coin silver teaspoons that I have had no luck selling. Not so much as even an offer. They are in excellent condition. They are unmarked, which is very common for these early American spoons, but I wonder if that is part of the problem. Does anyone have any idea what a fair price might be for these? Also, is there an online forum or marketplace other than eBay that might be a better way to find a buyer? I'd be grateful for any suggestions or advice. Thank you!

Views: 263

Replies to This Discussion

How do you know that these are "coin" silver - meaning 800 purity? Did you test them? If so, I think  I would include the results of the testing. I do know most of the early American pieces are unmarked. But, they usually have some type of identifiers, Like, shape, or pattern.

If you haven't tested them, that's what I'd do first. The second thing I would think of is to put them in an Auction that has other pieces of American Coin Silver - that way you would get to the collectors, and they would probably recognise them.

Good Luck to you!

Hi Vicki, thanks for the reply. A few months ago I did a bunch of research both on my own and by getting advice from some experts. These are certainly coin silver and likely from the early to mid 1800s. The shape and pattern along with the little to no tarnish are a few indicators. The only real way to tell is to cut into the spoon, which would damage it, so I'm comfortable enough with what the research has told me to sell these as coin. However anything I ever sell is always sold with the caveat that if something is amiss it's returnable on my dime. I agree that to sell them with a bunch of other pieces would be ideal, but these are all I have so I'm out of luck there.

How much were you asking for them, USD?

I was just wondering if you calculated the melt value, which could exceed the amount you are asking.  Buyers of Gold and Silver can test it and determine purity with a simple acid test.

Weigh the spoons using Troy scale.  (Guess, 2 oz).  Multiply x price of silver, (Guess $33.) x 2 = $66. Less purity, 80% =  52.80, Less 35% commission*= $34. approx. =/- dependent upon weight and price of silver. *Some only charge 25%, = $39.00.

Having a monogram makes it difficult to sell.

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

& Terms of Use

© 2019   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service