TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

Trying to find out more info about some Antique flatware I have purchased. no familiar with mark and year made. 

Views: 56

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

S.M., your flatware comes from the former USSR. It was made by several different makers there mainly in the latter part of the 20th century (I don't know if still made).

The pattern shown is a variation on LOUIS XV. The base metal is called Melchior and was extensively used in this ware which is silverplated on top of the melchior alloy.

This ware started showing up in the West (U.S., Canada) after 1988 when many immigrants from the USSR arrived. They brought it with them. Search 'russia melchior' and you'll see plenty of it, different patterns variations. Here's one:

Louis XV Style Melchior MHU

The ware is often stamped MHU and also with the little cloverleaf-like stamp shown on your image. I cannot interpret the maker's name stamp as the letters are in Cyrillic and do not pronounce the same as in Western characters.

In your interest, this pattern is quite sought after in the replacement market as some immigrants like it and seek to replace missing pieces in their sets. If you intend to sell it, it will probably do quite well. Check the auctions for Solds to see how it did.

Nice, hard wearing flatware to a point, although the melchior alloy is somewhat softer than stainless steel. Note that the name 'melchior' is not related to the real name Melchior (famous historic personages etc.) but a distortion of a French word. Read more about it from the link above.

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

& Terms of Use

© 2018   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service