TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

Antique Rare 1945 Poster U S Marines putting up the American Flag at lwo jima

-Official U.S. Treasury Poster-

Some Background History: The 7th War Loan campaign began on May 14, 1945, just 6 days after the unconditional surrender of Germany, now known as VE (Victory in Europe) Day, as America turned its full attention to the challenge of defeating Japan. Fears that the bond drive would be hurt by the surrender of Germany and victory in

Europe were unfounded, certainly due in part to this heroic poster. During the six weeks of this drive over 26 billion dollars worth of war bonds were sold. During WWII, war bonds were a source of cash income for the U.S. government, used to finance the war. Purchasing bonds was patriotic, and was seen as making a personal investment in victory. While the initial goal of selling war bonds was to finance the war, it had the positive side-effect of raising morale on the home-front. By the end of the war, 85 million Americans had invested in war bonds. The "Now .. All Together" poster features C.C. Beall's painting of Joe Rosenthal's Pulitzer Prize-winning photograph of soldiers raising the American flag on the island of Iwo Jima, taken on February 23, 1945. Iwo Jima's importance lay in it's location, midway between Japan and American bomber bases in the Mariana Islands. During the 36 day Battle of Iwo Jima, there were 25,851 United States casualties, plus the deaths of virtually all of the 22,000 Japanese soldiers on the island.Vintage, original poster as shown folded

into (8) panels as originally mailed from U.S. Treasury, unfolds to 18 1/2"x 26",

old tape on corners and margins as shown. BRIGHT- BOLD COLORS!! Clean, 

Original,aged SCARCE! ORIGINAL ITEM!!! 

Asking $299.00 and Free

Shipping 10% will go to Diane

Views: 61

Attachments:

SPONSORED

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

© 2017   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service