TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

This beautifully constructed dresser is unusually wide and deep, with superb craftsmanship and large, deep drawers.  This piece was falling apart and had generally been abused when I found it in my neighborhood in Philadelphia.  Falling apart!  

So this restoration involved a complete rebuild of the joints as well as replacing missing trim, fixing veneer chips, and reinventing the color palette to contemporize.

We chose a combination of light blue colors and replaced the old damaged hardware with sleek matching blue porcelain knobs.  

BEFORE:  

AFTER:  

I pride myself on an extremely thorough job, inside & out.  I keep my drawers clean of overspray and polish them out prior to delivery, so the client gets a nice, inviting dresser to put their personal effects in immediately.  Can't stand these antique mall dealers who deliver furniture full of sawdust and paint flecks!  I want my finish to appear as if it was original to the piece's manufacture 80-90 years ago.

I like to use high-quality furniture, especially if it is labeled by an important maker of the time.  Saginaw shops made very high-quality furniture in the early 20th century.

I kept the distressing somewhat light on this one.  But my hallmark is an ultra-smooth, polished appearance, no brush marks, no drips, sleek and smooth despite subtle wear & tear that gives it character.  I use a 5-coat varnish professional finish over oil-based lacquer.  

If you want to see the rest of the album, here is a link to my archives-

Kitschnkaboodle's 2-tone Blue Saginaw Chest

Views: 81

Replies to This Discussion

What a difference blue paint makes. Great photos.

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

SPONSORED

& Terms of Use

© 2017   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service