TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

Bowed front china curio by Cortland Cabinet Company 1920s Cream&Green with LIGHTS!

One of my clients brought me this sweet little empire style oak bowed glass china curio, or china cabinet if you prefer, lol

Made by Cortland Cabinet Company, probably in the teens.  The former owner had left it on a damp floor in a basement or garage, which caused the feet to chip apart and peel, so my first job on this one was to restore the feet.  No easy task, as they were veneered from head to toe!  I had to find a way to patch in the chips and gouges on the feet so that it would be seamless and blend with the lines of the piece again.

The client chose classic 2-tone 1920s cream and light green.  We replaced the shelves with custom-made glass, supplied by Crystal Vetro in Philadelphia.  And then I installed energy-saving low-watt LED lights hidden inside the crown of the piece, so that the light shines all the way down through the glass shelves illuminating the whole cabinet.  

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Close-ups of the foot repairs:  

before-

after-

darn, it strikes me now I took the before/after pics from different angles.  Well anyhow, you get the idea!  lol

And here it is lit-up:

We used a new bottle-green depression glass knob to compliment the green of the glass edges on the shelves, which illuminates and compliments the green theme of the piece.  

I adore using glass in my pieces to compliment color and texture and to offset the distressing. 

My trademark sleek, polished sheen:

Not too glossy, just a clean, satin polished look with subtle distressing.  

Original maker's label is preserved on the back:

The rest of the album can be found here:

Cortlandt China Cabinet Cream&Green with lights

Views: 884

Replies to This Discussion

Great photos. Thanks for posting this wonderful China cabinet .

Beautiful job! Did you distress the piece by sanding the edges?

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

SPONSORED

& Terms of Use

© 2017   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service