On Facebook -JOIN I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles.
Here is the link for the group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/
Please join our FB group where YOU can post directly.

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

This forum post was orginally organized by  http://iantiqueonline.ning.com/profiles/profile/show?id=rickrack&;

Since we have agreed to like the 30's quilts here, I thought I'd post a particularly cute flower basket quilt - it may actually be from the 1940's - I really like the blue framing, and the fact that they used different fabrics for the different flowers and baskets.

Permalink Reply by SharonS on February 21, 2009 at 2:14pmDelete

One of the favorite patterns for 1930's quilts is the hexagonal patch pattern known as Grandmother's Flower Garden. As with any other style of quilt, it can be made in an infinite number of variations.

One unusual one that I have uses a pink background fabric rather than white:

The green triangles of patches make the "flowers" look like stars when you look at them a certain way...

Permalink Reply by Brenda G. on February 22, 2009 at 8:26amDelete

Sharon, I keep coming back to look at the oak leaf quilt. I am just in aw. It certainly doesn't look like an applique but I just can't imagine someone piecing this pattern & how they done it. WONDERFUL.
 Reply by SharonS on February 22, 2009 at 1:10pmDelete
Brenda,

It is an applique. Just doesn't look like it because of the fabrics they chose....
Permalink Reply by Ellene Meece on February 26, 2009 at 11:44amDelete
My "Texas" cousin is into quilts big time - Tanya's Divine Design Quilts. She has this quilt top ready for someone to make into a fluffy quilt:

This quilt block represents her favorite heirloom pattern for Mariners Compass.
Permalink Reply by SharonS on March 8, 2009 at 10:27pmDelete
Here's another 1930's lone star quilt, in perfect shape, that I just found last week.

Permalink Reply by SharonS on March 17, 2009 at 9:21am

ca. 1850's, large and beautifully quilted....

Permalink Reply by SharonS on March 20, 2009 at 12:36pmDelete

I thought that this 1930's quilt was particularly appropriate for today, the first day of Spring!

Permalink Reply by SharonS on March 30, 2009 at 10:58am

This is an early rose applique quilt from the mid 19th century - note that the larger flowers are built up in 5 layers of applique.

Permalink Reply by SharonS on April 3, 2009 at 11:33amDelete

Here's a 1930's Trip around the world quilt that uses shabby floral print and solid color cotton sateens.

Permalink Reply by SharonS on April 9, 2009 at 3:57pmDelete

And another one from my website:

Permalink Reply by SharonS on April 19, 2009 at 12:52pmDelete

Took lots of new quilt pictures today, here are the newest additions:

Permalink Reply by SharonS on June 17, 2009 at 12:52pmDelete

Here's a very busy 1930's quilt in a star pattern; it's hard to see the pattern for all the plaids.

More pictures of the quilt can be seen here: Sharon's Antique Quilts

Permalink Reply by SharonS on July 30, 2009 at 4:48pmDelete

Here's a quilt that's currently listed in my eBay store:

It's a tied crazy quilt that I bought for its backing - I didn't know it was a crazy quilt until I owned it! But the backing is this gorgeous, shabby rose bouquet fabric:

Permalink Reply by SharonS on July 30, 2009 at 7:37pmDelete

Here are two quilt tops I just bought at an auction, trying to save them from getting wet in the rain. They did sustain a little damage, but still look good.

Lots of neat fabrics in that one; this one is a little plainer....

Permalink Reply by SharonS on August 12, 2009 at 11:40am

Permalink Reply by SharonS on August 12, 2009 at 9:23pmDelete

The pattern is a variation of the fleur de lys applique, using three different blocks. It's found only in a specific small area of eastern PA and nowhere else. I own one other in this pattern, as well as a quilt top, and have sold three others as well. There are several in museum collections.

Note the different colors, layout and border treatments...
Here are three more variations of this same pattern:

Permalink Reply by SharonS on October 4, 2009 at 4:37pmDelete

Here's my latest quilt find from an estate auction. It's really a comforter, but close enough. I've always loved these, this is the third or fourth one I've had.

The stars are made by stitching with bright colored yarn around a tin template that looks like a little flower or star with a hole in the center. Then the star is cut out and the yarn trimmed to create the effect seen here.

One of my Mennonite friends told me that girls at the local Mennonite school used to stitch these at home, then assemble them at school into a quilt for fund raising. Depending on the number of colors used ant the way they're arranged the result can be striking.

Permalink Reply by SharonS on October 28, 2009 at 8:51pmDelete

If anyone here is familiar with the quilts of Gee's Bend, Alabama that have been such a sensation in the quilt/collecting world, you probably have an opinion on the artistry of their design. What can't be denied is the freedom from strict adherence to pattern or tradition, which characterizes most original artwork.

This past week I found the quilt shown here, that has many of the characteristics of these quilts

It's a heavy quilt, made from corduroy, wool blankets and suiting, jersey knits and any number of fabrics - and in a variety of patterns as well. It's not quilted but tied at intervals with alternating red and blue heavy threads. And what's even more fun is that the other side is patchwork too

It may or may not be a work of art, depending on how you see it, but it certainly is bright and visually stimulating. I found it to be a lot of fun!

Permalink Reply by SharonS on February 28, 2011 at 12:41pmDelete

This discussion has been WAAAY too quiet; let's liven it up and show off some quilts!!

Here's one from the middle third of the 19th century, with lots of applique and beautiful quilting

Late 19th century log cabin "barn raising" quilt in four favorite PA Dutch colors.

Views: 788

Replies to This Discussion

This pretty 1930's "trip around the world" quilt features hundreds of small squares of a great variety of 1930's fabrics.

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

& Terms of Use

© 2020   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service