On Facebook -JOIN I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles.
Here is the link for the group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/
Please join our FB group where YOU can post directly.

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

How To Clean Old Linens: Pamela Wiggins 

Here's How:

1. To remove surface dirt and dust, try carefully vacuuming the item on low suction with vents open.
  2. Before storing, examine each linen for food and grease that may attract damaging insects or leave permanent stains.
  3. Test each piece to see if it's colorfast by blotting with a white cloth and the water or a mild cleaning solution (Ivory Liquid and other similar
    products work well) you've prepared.
  4. Gently immerse the linen into the liquid and carefully agitate it by hand.
  5. For stubborn spots, try treating textiles with a solution made of lemon juice and salt.
  6. Rinse the item to remove all soap residue using distilled water for the final rinse, especially in areas with hard water.
  7. If possible, dry linens by laying them flat outdoors in the sun on absorbent towels or directly on the grass.
  8. Iron each item quickly and carefully using a minimal amount of starch.
  9. Avoid dry cleaning heirloom linens since excessive agitation, harsh chemicals and heat can damage them.

Tips:

1. When vacuuming delicate items, place a piece of tulle or fiberglass screen over them for protection.
  2. Avoid wetting wools and silks to avoid weakening the fibers.
  3. Try drying linens directly on the grass. Many people swear by this method for completely removing stains.

What You Need:

• Vacuum cleaner
  • Tulle or fiberglass screen
  • Mild soap
  • Distilled water
  • Lemon juice
  • Salt
  • Iron

Views: 93

Replies to This Discussion

So happy to see Pam here! She took over my old job as the Antiques Guide at About.com (When I was there it was called The Mining Company). The only thing I'd add is that linens should never be stored in plastic bags. For long term storage, pack the linens in acid-free tissue, and then in a box. Once a year, open the box, take everything out, check for "visitors", then re-pack.
Best,
Judith

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

& Terms of Use

© 2020   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service