TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

WHAT ARE TEA & TOAST SETS?

By: John Hogan

A Tea & Toast Set is the combination of a cup and an irregular sh

RIDGWAY TEA & TOAST SET, C. 1955

ape large under plate that has an indented ring such that the cup may rest inside. The under plate is for holding a toast or sandwich.

These little sets are commonly referred to under several names: (a) breakfast sets, (b) tea & toast sets, or (c) sandwich sets. All three references are used interchangeably and are acceptable descriptions for such shape cup and under tray. The English like to refer to these as Tea & Toast Sets; the Americans like to refer to these sets as Breakfast Sets or Sandwich Sets.

Read More

http://www.passionforthepastantiques.com/articles/item/article/what...

Views: 213

Replies to This Discussion

Tea and Toast Set, Tiffin set, Tennis Set are all British terminology for what we loosely call snack sets.  Glass snack sets were mostly made during the 1940s through the 1960s, in the USA.  The porcelain and pottery sets can be much older.  The oldest two piece snack set I've found was a Haviland & Co. set from the 1890s but it's possible that some of those from Japan backstamped "Nippon" might be equally as antique.

Originally, these were not used for "soup and sandwich", these were for serving tea/coffee and dessert.

Laurie

RSS

SPONSORED

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

© 2017   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service