TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

This a Jabo experimental. How many colors? Sorry this picture is so bad, but it is the only picture I have and can't find the marble.

Views: 277

Replies to This Discussion

yes sir!

Strange how things just pop up!  How many colors does a marble have? I live near Boise State Univ and they just put up a new score board.  It's capable of producing over 9,000,000 different colors. I would imagine nature could increase that 10 fold, 100 fold, infinite. 

Or, you could get technical and say 3, red, blue, yellow.  Three primary colors.  From them you can make all the others.

As mentioned, white is not a color'; it's the absence of color, and of course black is just the opposite.

Maybe rather than ask about colors you (we) should call them shades or hues or blends or something other than colors. 

This is where it gets difficult. If you have a red and yellow blend that produces an orange......you see the orange. Is this orange not considered to be present on the marble because it is a blend? And , if present then why would we not count it?

As for white, It is said to be the absence of color, yet do we really ever have an absolute true white. Even a very bright clean white has blue in it. I wonder can we really call white an absence  of color or maybe the absence of all other color. As most consider white to be a color. I have a white car, house, t-shirt......ect. If we are excluding white because it is the base color of many marbles....what if the base is blue, does it get counted where white did not?

On the other hand if we had a clear marble with 5 different ribbons, red, blue, white, green and yellow.....do we count it as a 4 color marble?

These should be things we can answer or at least have a agreed upon standard through out the hobby. However at this point that standard changes depending on whom you ask.

Thanks guys, you reminded me of another thought. If white is the absence of all color, why do we see and call it a color?

Now, you're getting into tricky territory. Color perception also changes from human to human, based on the expectations their own mind has learned throughout their lives. No two people see color the same, period, even white. Your mind even automatically adjusts when you bring something from inside to out, color correcting everything, because it has expectations of what it should look like to keep everything uniform. You are not even aware it's happening. I watched a documentary on the subject recently, and not only was it interesting, it was mind blowing. I think perceived colors should be counted, but those perceptions will and do change from person to person, as does each person's idea of what is a color to count and what is not. This is always going to be tricky, even if you set a certain standard. P.S. In the standard that I set for myself, I would probably count primary and secondary colors (secondary being green, a mix of blue and yellow, for the uninitiated). I would not count blends and shades of those secondary colors, however. Of course, I've just said that, but realize I would probably also count black, white and brown. Confused? I am!  LOL

Thanks Robb, point made, but as I pointed out in the first post, how are you additionally going to handicap the use of chemicals which seem to refute color theory as we know it?

No matter what we do, we will not have a perfect solution, but I believe group synergy will help us set some new standards that will be an improvement.

I am only pointing out what the three primary colors are.  You can ask any search engine that question and all should say three, red, blue, yellow.  It is not tricky at all, it's factual.  From those 3 colors you can make any shade or blend that you desire.

I wholly agree that if I see a marble that is orange and white that you will probably know what color it is too.

Don't point out that some people are color blind. 

Actually, I DO have a type of color blindness that causes people to have trouble making fine color distinctions, and to even confuse a few paler colors and shades.  :)  I did not point that out to be contrary, it's merely a truth. My tricky territory remark had to do with the way people perceive colors and the fact that all people are going to have different ideas as to what should count, as well. Certainly, the colors red,blue,yellow are not "tricky." Hope everyone is having an awesome Sunday!

Robb, I sometimes have trouble with red and orange. The real problem is exactly what Tom pointed out. It the thought that color theory holds in molten glass. I does not seem to hold true in glass, hence we can and  do see colors that in theory when mixed cannot make a certain color. Yet, it happens regularly. I am not a chemist so I do not understand why, but it happens. My unproven suspicion is that (when dealing with glass) the chemicals and/or heat cause these things to happen.

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

SPONSORED

& Terms of Use

© 2017   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service