I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

The description of the piece is unimportant. 

I'm interested in the process of applying the alligator texture to the smoke grey main(?) glass.  I understand what overshot and crackle glass are.  The brown spots of glass on the bottom of the piece lead me to believe overshot.  But I can't see the texture being only overshot.  It looks like it was given a crackle treatment.


Views: 108

Replies to This Discussion

I think it's very close to what you are describing Scott. But, I was going to say more of a Craquelle treatment. So, I looked up the definition, as It's been awhile since I worked with any of this type of glass. Here is what I found: 

The only other thing I'm noticing is that the "channels" on your item look more like a Mouth blown type to me. Not that I'm certain, I'm not at all. It's just a hunch.

It's completely gorgeous by the way! :) 

Ha!  That's the site I learned about overshot.  It looks to me like craquelle is a fancy schmancy way of saying crackle. 

Maybe crackle isn't the best way it can be described.  I change my description to... I don't know... shrunken?  Rolled?  If molten glass is applied to, say, a stock vase, preheated(?), will the cooling glass shrink?

As I look closer at the texture, it looks brown is a lesser part of a brown and clear glass mixture. 

It is pretty cool, isn't it?

Yes very! And most likely a talented artist made this! 

As to the Craquelle vs Crackle, your probably right on that one as well. But I'd also throw in this perhaps, for your piece? "IridescentSurface treatment" in which a layer of metallic oxide is bonded to the hot glass surface just after sheet-forming, resulting in a colorful, shimmering effect. Would you agree you've got a bit of iridescence going on there?

The main difference that I note is that in a common "crackle glass" mini pitcher ( very common) made by L.G. Wright 60's to 80's. What you have are very random cracks, that do have a certain look to them: 

Now compare to yours. See what I mean?

It seems like yours is more of a "Cased Craquelle" (Ok, French, again) by a major artist, verses the more common one above.

The other thing I keep getting stuck on, is the amazing channels here. It really looks to be blown into a form/Mold or "Mold blown" I just can't figure getting those lines using the common crackle treatment!

Hand channeling molten glass sounds like an awful job.  Rolling it over a pattern seems reasonable. I might have found an overlay.  If it's done by hand, there would be raised edges on either side of the groove unless they were rolled down.  There would be evidence of that, 'though.

I know from crackle.  I know this piece isn't. My grandma had a real neat amber vase.  Come to think of it, they had the original '50's ceiling lamps.  Push button electrical switches.  Lots of the original fixtures.  And a funky wood table in their living room.  Probably a heckuva collectible pieces.  Funny the things a body remembers.

It is indeed! I'm not sure a "hand channeling" is even possible per se either?

If it is, I'm unaware. You are certain there are no makers markings anywhere to right?

Do you have one photo of the full piece? It looks "monumental" (fancy antique dealer term, for LARGE). What is the overall size?

You've got my curiosity up now, lol, I'd love to know WHO made this!


Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig


Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook and "LIKE" our page.


JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

& Terms of Use

© 2018   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service