TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

Hello all, 

I am new to this community. Hello!  I can't tell you all how helpful your posts and information has already been to me. 

My elderly father wants to leave his house to a senior community but he feels hindered by the stuff in the house. My mother died a few years back, leaving a mountain of stuff not only that she had saved, but also from my grandmother's estate.  Much of it is unsorted, in boxes and just everywhere.

A couple of things to note: one, for various reasons my parents never upgraded the interior of the house. Walls are in sore need of painting, the 40 year old carpet is stained,  and there's clutter everywhere.

Second, I know a lot about what's worth money and what isn't.  I am a former dealer of vintage clothing and collectibles.  In the basement here I've been storing boxes of inventory that I also need to unload.

Three, I currently live in the Netherlands.  I have to keep coming back to the US to try to help, but I can't do this forever.  My only sibling who lives nearby has thus far been of little help.

I'd love to bring in an estate person or dealer to help, but I don't want to pay for services like valuation since I know in general what's worth money and what isn't.  Also, my dad is a little leery of people coming in the house because of the condition. 

I think the plan is to take most of the valuable items (furniture, smalls) to a local auction house.  But my question is what to do with the stuff that is too valuable to donate but not valuable enough to auction off. Would a dealer be interested in box lots?  What about lots of vintage clothing? I know as a dealer I would be, but the few dealers I've spoken with won't take anything that isn't individually worth over $50.  I'm interested in getting rid of box lots.  I'm also thinking of selling some stuff on online auctions, but I know firsthand what a hassle that can be and how long it can take.

Suggestions?  We're in the Baltimore/DC area, btw. 

Views: 218

Replies to This Discussion

Be sure to look at the books, you could maybe find first editions.  Any prints or paintings, write the artist's name and look them up on the internet.    A cheap Currier & Ives goes for hundreds depending what it says on the front. 

Great advice!  Thank you.  I am going through the books and already gave away a valuable book to a collector friend, but that's good. I want things to go to good homes :-)

How are you getting along, making progress?  I keep thinking about you.  If you need help looking up something online on in my many books, please contact me.  I use my late evenings on the internet and I would welcome "the hunt" as we say.  Sometimes the hunt is the joy of it.   Keep plugging along!

Thanks, Linda!  Slowly, slowly, slowly :-)  I also have a lot of my own inventory to liquidate.  I was a vintage clothing seller some years ago and never got rid of all my inventory.  So there's a lot to do.  Plus Dad is recovering from surgery so I can't do a whole lot at the moment.  I'll let you know if I have something unusual to research. I am finding all kinds of stuff here.  I love it!  I only wish I had more time...

I will check in this area for vintage clothing dealers.  Will get back to you if I am lucky.  Hope your Dad is better. 

That would be great, Linda.  Thank you so much! 

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

SPONSORED

& Terms of Use

© 2017   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service