On Facebook -JOIN I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles.
Here is the link for the group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/
Please join our FB group where YOU can post directly.

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

I have talked to many dealers who tell me that interest in Depression Glass is declining? In fact elegant antiques and collectibles are not selling well, according to some seasoned dealers. What has been your experience? Is Depression Glass easy or harder to find? Have prices gone down? Do you sell Depression Glass as well as you did in the past? What colors and patterns remain important? Should people hold onto their Depression Glass pieces until the economy gets better? Please share your experiences and ideas.

Views: 210

Replies to This Discussion

As you probably know, I've inherited my mother's collection of Depression glass. She collected in the 1970s when it was popular and on the pricey side (i.e. people were willing to pay near "book" prices). I have been attempting to sell some of it without much success. People just don't seem to appreciate it these days. Likely young people don't even know what it is. I've heard it has slipped into the category of "low-end" collectible. What had really hurt the market is that it is now flooded with repros from China. Chinese glass makers bought the original molds from American glass factories. It is really difficult to tell the repros from original pieces - even for experts. I know my mom collected before all the repros hit the market, but it would be a hard thing to prove.

Liliian, I didnt realize there were so many repros flooding th market. I wonder of members could talk more about repros in Depreesion Glass?

Dianne

This is from antiques.about.com

"While reproductions concern and discourage some collectors, a little research goes a long way to protect your investment. For many years several Depression glass patterns like Cherry Blossom and Madrid were widely reissued, and a number of others are currently being reproduced today. It is possible to collect sets in the copied patterns without being stung by repros, but buyers should check all resources and buy from reputable dealers if choosing to collect a reproduced pattern."

Also more here about it:

http://www.justglass-online.com/depression-glass/reproduction-depre...

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

& Terms of Use

© 2023   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service