TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

Hello, quite the lurker here while I learn this crazy business.  I have gotten stuck trying to identify the maker on this plate.   Thanks for all of the knowledge and the time you all take to answer others.  Any help is appreciated.  I'm kind of excited about this piece, but I don't want to get my hopes up.    

Below are links to more pictures of this plate.

http://imgur.com/a/fZlnh

Views: 54

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Bill! I  know that Pearl Ware was a type of glaze or finish that began in the late 1700's. I read that Wedgwood was one of the first to apply it "in response to a comment by Lady Dartmouth that she and her friends were tired of the creamware body. His formula contained some soaprock and traces of cobalt oxide to achieve a white color. It provided a good base for bright colored enamels. It was adopted by many potteries in the early 19th century for a wide range of wares." Antique English Pearlware.

Most "Indian" pattern names are blue transferware with this glaze. I'm not sure if the stamp in the center of the "Pearl Ware" lettering is the maker? Nevertheless, this type finish came after creamware but I think was basically from 1770's through early 1800's.

Hopefully, others on here and give some more insight.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!  I was thrilled to find it.  The pattern is so unique and to my untrained eye, the artwork appears consistent with that period.    It has no chips, which kind of blows my mind since if it really is from that time period. 

I'm hoping as well that someone may recognize the mark.  

Hi Bill ( the lurker) LOL - I found your mark! Your plate is by Thomas Dimmock 1829-1859. Here's the link: http://www.thepotteries.org/mark/d/dimmock_thom.html

Holy Canoli!  Thank you so much!  Thanks also for the link giving me a new resource to use when I'm playing detective.  Wow,  can't believe I picked it up at a thrift store.   I have really only been collecting for about 4 months, and I have learned so much.  What is so awesome to me is how much is out there for me to learn.

I love the treasure hunt, and I can tell I'm already emotionally attached to to this piece.  LOL, I'm guessing that I am not the only one that feels that way about special finds.    

Good find, Vicki! I was hoping you would weigh in on this discussion!! :) We had the dating pretty much correct and now Bill (the lurker) - has the maker!

Congratulations Bill, on your thrift store find!

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

SPONSORED

& Terms of Use

© 2017   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service