On Facebook -JOIN I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles.
Here is the link for the group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/
Please join our FB group where YOU can post directly.

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

Hi , I recently inherited a bucket of old crystals and I assume glass from old chandeliers.  I put them under a black light and some turn green and others stay purple, when I took pics they look blue.   I tried to google, but didn't find satisfactory answers.  Can someone explain to me, if the ones that turn green, does that mean those are glass?  And the ones that stay purple but look blue in pics, are those definitely crystal?  I would like to sell them as replacement crystals or glass, but I don't want to list glass as crystal or vice - versa.   I appreciate any  help in advance.  If there is a website I could go to that would be great also.  Thanks again.

Views: 170

Replies to This Discussion

One more question.   I have colored pieces amber, purple, blue that also look green under the black light?  What would those be glass or crystal?  Any help would be great and am I posting on the right site?  

Glass that turns green under a UV light is due to the glass having uranium oxide in it. This was done until the 1960s, but after the uranium/nuclear scare it was declared unhealthy and ceased.

Clear glass that turned purple naturally (can also be done artificially) is due to the glass having manganese in it. It pre-dates 1914-1917. The Ultra violet rays in sunlight causes the purplization.

Crystal dings when tapped with a finger nail, spoon, etc. Glass doesn't.

That's about all I know...hope it helps.

Yes Tom, you always have a clear answer for my questions.  I believe they are glass because they do not ding.   But I thought all Chandeliers back in the day were made of crystal.  So I am stumped, because these chandelier were so old.  I am fascinated with the ones that turn green, that is cool.

It is confusing as Lead used in lead crystal also turns pinkish purple under UV

Thank you Angela,  Yes it is confusing.  I did some research and I guess the crystals they used years ago, were not as sparkling as the ones we have now.  They used cheap ones in their many chandeliers , so that's why I thought they were glass.

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

& Terms of Use

© 2020   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service