I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

I purchased a 1960s music magazine on eBay and it has that musty, mildewy smell. This wasn't noted by the seller in the description.

Anyway, did a little bit of research and some say kitty litter may help get rid of the smell. So, I took a cardboard box, filled it a 1/4 inch w/ kitty litter, put the magazine inside, sealed it, and will forget about it for 30 days. I'll certainly let people know if this does the trick, but I'm wondering what other tricks are there should this fail?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Views: 128

Replies to This Discussion

http://www.google.com/search?q=how+do+you+get+rid+of+the+musty+smel...:*:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7RNWI
I've tried a lot of things. None have worked 100%.
Probably more of a concern in books than magazines, make sure there is nothing living between the pages and in the bindings. The best non-toxic method I've found is to seal the book in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer for 2-3 weeks. Now my wife, antique lover though she is, doesn't care for this idea. So I double bag everything and put it in the old chest freezer in the cellar which, by the way, gets much colder than the kitchen fridge. The chest freezer gets down to about 2 or 3 degrees where the kitchen fridge is more like 25 degrees. Anyway, work out your own arrangements.
Back in the days when coffee came in a metal can with a opening key on the bottom, it was relatively cheap. I would line a box with "tin foil", sprinkle a big handful of DRY coffee inside with the book and seal it. In a week or 10 days change the coffee and reseal it. After about 6 weeks of this cycle the book smelled like coffee and I had wasted a can of coffee. There are 2 drawbacks to this method today. First coffee is way more expensive. Second, the musty smell eventually came back.
Using this same method, but using things other than coffee I've tried; Baking Soda, Powdered Chalk, Lime, Gypsym, "Speedee Dry" and, yes, kitty litter (which is basically the same thing as Speedee Dry). They all worked, to a degree. But mostly the smell would come back in time.
I am currently working on a box of 1926-28 vintage "Antique Magazine" magazines that are truly repulsive. (gak!) I'd throw them out but I want to scan some articles, and pictures, for my reference library. I read, in a U. S. Department of the Interior phamplet about using generic fabric softener sheets, placed inside a folded paper towel (to avoid direct contact of the fabric softener with the printed pages) and put between every 5-7 pages and kept in a "ziplock" type bag. They are suggesting replacement of the sheet and the bag every week. I'm gonna have to hit up Obama for a bailout. I'll let you know if it's any better than kitty litter.

RSS

Pin on Pinterest

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

Disclaimer & Terms of Use

"I Antique Online" does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any questions, answers or other posted information on any part of www.iantiqueonline.com
Full Disclaimer

Full Terms of Use

© 2014   Created by C. Dianne Zweig and Scott Liscomb

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service