TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE : CONTACT DIANNE AT DIANNE@CDIANNEZWEIG.COM

I Antique Online

A Community For People Who Buy, Sell or Collect Antiques, Collectibles and Art

I am involved with restoring a historic house built in 1886. This light fixture was probably installed on the porch in the 1930s or 1940s when the house was electrified. The elements have taken their toll as it is rusty. The assembly in the center between the plate that attaches to the ceiling and the basket that  hangs from it is so rusty that it will probably have to be replaced. Not shown is the cylindrical glass globe that goes in the center of the basket. Who made this? Are repair parts available?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Tom Benjey for Craighead House

Views: 33

Replies to This Discussion

It will be nearly impossible to discover who made this exact fixture. There were hundreds of manufacturers over a long time period. So, what would be best, is to try an online site like "Restoration Hardware" and others out there.  They carry a wide array of parts and stuff, and reproduction lighting as well, if you can't save this one. More importantly, what ever you purchase that way, will be up to code as well. 

The only other thing you can try is ebay/Etsy sellers that specialize in vintage and antique lighting. Sometimes they have extra stuff you can purchase from them. 

These are generally referred to as a "caged filigree porch lamp, or hanging lamp"

Disagree with Vicki.  Don't buy a new reproduction. RH sells nothing like it nor do they sell repair/replacement parts. If you can find a repro, it will cost you a couple of hundred and still look like a cheap imitation.  Fix this one.  IF you live in an old house be prepared to fix stuff.  You will need to  get the paint and rust off the metal.  you can do it with small wire brushes and paint remover, or have it soda (like sand blasting but more gentle) blasted.   Look for vintage car restoration shops.  Should be about $30 bucks.  Soak the screws inside the socket and on the threads that hold the socket on  with lots of quality  product like liquid wrench or PB blaster etc. .  Let it sit a few days.   try to remove the socket from the lamp, and the wires  from the socket.  great if you can, if not, you'll be looking at lamp shops and eBay for a replacement porcelain socket.   

I've found great replacement glass (If it's a cylinder) at Hobby Lobby, or that type of import store.  Usually can find a decorative candle glass cylinder for about $10.   Metal was probably was painted satin black (Krylon) originally if it is steel,  green or black copper patina if it is copper. Lock for traces of old paint for signs of original color. Rewire and connect it the reverse of how you removed it. 

There is no 'electrical code' for this sort of thing.  NEC is only  for the wiring in your house, not the lamps you have attached to the house  (grey area here, but don't worry about it.) You will be using new wire that's about it.  New hanging lamps now have an additional ground wire.  It's thin copper.  You can add one if you like but unless the house has been rewired, you will not have anything to attach it to..   Now it's yours and you have a great restore story to tell and be proud of.

Thank you, Dan. I looked at RH's site and, as you said, they sell nothing like this. Fortunately, the glass cylinder that goes inside the cage is in good shape. Some of the oak leaves on the cage are fragile, so I'll ask the sandblasting shop (that also does powder coating) if they do the more gentle soda blasting. I'll soak the assembly that includes the socket to see if I can get it to come apart.

Working with old stuff is nothing new to me. My own house turned 200 this year but had nothing electrical in it that would have been considered vintage.

The paint left on the cage appears to have been black. Would powder coating it be a good idea since it will be exposed to the elements?

Getting the two little screws off that hold the parts of the socket together will be the challenge....I restore a lot of exterior lighting and that's always the hard part.  

RSS

Welcome To I Antique Online: The Best & Biggest Social Network On Antiques & Collectibles

C. Dianne Zweig

Editor-In-Chief  
Dianne@cdiannezweig.com 

Visit my blog Kitsch n Stuff

Visit my Art Studio/gallery  

Visit Pinterest

Visit Facebook www.facebook.com/iantiqueonline and "LIKE" our page.

JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP I Antique Online.com: Collectors of Antiques and Collectibles Public Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/327133184409134/

C. Dianne Zweig's Blog

SPONSORED

& Terms of Use

© 2017   Created by C. Dianne Zweig   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service